Shotguns and HOGS

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by dreweB, Oct 5, 2012.

1. dreweB

dreweB New Member

I have a huge family of hogs on my bow stand and this weekend I'm going to bring my semi automatic 12 gage with me to take care of them any one have recomendations on ammo to take them down with????

2. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I would assume a nice slug is just what the doctor ordered.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

00 buck lead. for 30 yards or less. This is extermination, not hunting.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Buckshot will work just fine. Wack as many as you can the first opportunity, they'll go nocturnal in hurry.

5. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Yeah...I concur with the bs recommendation. You'll still only get lead into 2 or 3 though. An aggressive trapping strategy may be more effective at eliminating the whole group.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Check your local laws. Some states require you to use T sized shot or less. Other than that any shot from #4 to 000buck will work.

7. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way to reduce the hog poulation is by trapping. For years i hunted and shot hogs; they just kept on multiplying. Finally started trapping hogs two years ago. We have greatly reduced the number of hogs on two of our properties and another place i hunt.

Yesterday morning we had four sows in a portable trap. We had removed three sows from that trap the day before. This made a dent in the future hog population of that place.

[​IMG]

8. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

Mmmmmm.....bacon.

9. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I myself prefer sausage.

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Either way it looks tastey...

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I hunted hogs with sabot slugs out of a rifled 16ga barrel for many years and had good results within 100 yrds. I switched to a Rem 700 with a scope a few years ago for longer shots. But buck is fine if they're within range.

You might want to set up some homemade feeders to draw them in. We use 4-foot sections of 4-inch pvc pipe, capped at both ends with a threaded cap, with 1-inch holes drilled along the length of the pipe, fill them with corn, tie one end to a stump or tree trunk and lay the pipe on the ground. The hogs rush in right after dusk and go nuts rolling the pipe around so the corn spills out the holes. Set up a blind nearby or sit in your bow stand and have yourself a massacre.

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Just the right size to cut in half and throw on the grill. If your trap is sturdy feed them corn for a few weeks. They taste much better. A friend of mine traps for DuPont. He builds permanent traps. When he gets a pen full of eating size pigs he feeds them out and has parties for a long time. Put a few rain barrels near the pen. Watering the pigs is much harder than feeding them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  13. hk45

hk45 Member

This should be nice Since we are about to got through a bacon shortage :D

14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012