Shotgunners unite!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by OlPainless, Oct 20, 2009.

1. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

Most of my firearm aficionado friends think I’m nuts... I’m not into AR's, can't stand AK's, can't justify the need for a .308, don't need or think I will ever have to shoot anything 1000 yards away (.300 mag, .338 lapua, etc...), and I don’t care too much for pistols (aside from carry purposes).

My true pleasure is shotguns, always has been, always will be. I own 4 firearms, 3 of which eat the best cartridge/shell of all time (IMO) the 12 gauge. The 4th being my carry piece.

Shotguns are great at so many things, home defense, birds, small game, yotes, deer and other medium game (although not much past 100 yards), and good old fashioned American fun.

I just can't see why they aren't more popular for anything other than birds and HD than they are. Even the ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

All I want to know is who's with me and if you aren't, then well why the hell not? Okay I take back that last part... wouldn't want to be the laughing stock of the forum. :D

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. :)

Jack

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I love shotguns as well. I live in a shotgun state for hunting. No high powered rifle for large game is allowed. That means that I use my shottys for hunting and defense. That being said, I do not like the uber tactial shottys with all the gadgets and pistol grips and folding stocks and shell holders. I have not much need for them, but that is just my opinion.

4. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry New Member

I like them all but...

Shotguns, to me are the all around can do toy. Other than making long distance calls. Which are, next thing best to being there, if you know what I mean.

I hunt more with lead spreaders because? Well, longer seasons and more diversity of game. I also love the shotgun games with trap being my favorite even if I'm not very good at it.

I love my BPS 10 for pass shooting Geese and for Turkey hunting. Otherwise I pretty much shoot a 12 gauge SPS 870. That may be changing though because my better half is buying an 870 Youth/Women 20 gauge.

My all time favorite shotgun was a Field Grade Citori in 20 that was stolen...

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

6. Patrick Sperry

So you were the critter!

Get you ass back on the History channel where you belong!

Damned grabby BigFoots anyways...:D

7. james_black

james_black New Member

Sucker # 2 here. I LOVE SHOTGUNS!!!

I have 2 mossberg 590, (1)500, (1) 935 spx and a double barrel coach. :D:D

8. User Name

User Name New Member

I love shotguns, however I also love those other firearms that you stated. I think they are just meant for different purposes. I have an AK47 and have a blast shooting it. I think my favorite thing to shoot however would be my glock. I just love shooting handguns and the ammo is realativly cheap. It is also extremely easy to clean and maintain. I must say though that a shotgun is one of the most "do everything" firearm. It can kill anything for a squirl/snake or bird to something up to an elk or larger. Glad you know what you like though!

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I have more shotguns than rifles and pistols. When I was much younger I shot trap and skeet competively. Sporting clays now as well. All but two of my shotguns are for target the other two are for HD and Pheasant/Duck. The last year, however, I've got into 1000 Yard NRA F-O Class shooting. So the shotgun's have been not totally but somewhat silent at the sporting clay/skeet range. I did literally, just awhile ago, get my Pheasants.

It was once said or written somewhere that the shotgun is the thinking mans gun.

If all you could afford was one gun to put food on the table and for defence you cant beat a shotgun.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  10. Patrick Sperry

Is that Coach the 12 gauge, or the BP 10 model?

11. james_black

james_black New Member

No. Is an FIE I bought out of a state sale for $125. Sawed off stock and short barrel.
    All legal...27" overall, 18.5 barrel. I bought it for the cool factor. I love it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  12. stalkingbear

Your sawed off shotgun IS NOT LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not unless you have the stamp. Shotguns must have minimum barrel length of 18" and overall lemgth of 28" according to federal BATFE rules.

13. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

Glad to see i'm not alone here... Thanks for the responses everyone.

Happy shooting and remember to keep those shotguns safe and warm. :)

14. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I'm a duck hunter. Plain and simple. I absolutely love my shotguns...all of them.

15. james_black

james_black New Member

Stalkingbear....could you show me where is says that is has to be 28" overall to be legal?
    I look at the NFA and I didn't see anything on 28 it says under 26. So basicly my shotgun is in legal lenght since overall is 27". Please post a link here. Maybe I'm wrong. Thanks.

16. stalkingbear

Minimum length for rifles are 16" barrel & 26" OAL. Shotguns are 18" barrel & 28" OAL. You can try to deny it if you want but that's the law and ignorance is no excuse. You are DEFINITELY wrong! I've been a gunsmith for 28 years and have no reason to lie to you. ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

17. Patrick Sperry

Rut Roh...

You need to get a new stock muy pronto! The ATF monitors places like this. You might apply for an SBS permit later, but for now you need to get legal.

18. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

This is what I found http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2005/p53004/26usc_chap53.pdf

• THE NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT
      TITLE 26, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 53

(a) Firearm. The term 'firearm' means

(1)

a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of

less than 18 inches in length;

(2) a

weapon made from a shotgun if such

weapon as modified has an overall length
    of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels
    of less than 18 inches in length;

(3) a

rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than

16 inches in length;

(4) a weapon made

from a rifle if such weapon as modified

has an overall length of less than 26
    inches or a barrel or barrels of less than

16 inches in length;

also here http://www.atf.gov/docs/Identification_of_Firearms_pt1.pdf Pages 15-17 identify shotguns

Looks like 18/26 for shotgun
    16/26 for rifle. :confused:

19. Patrick Sperry

well heck, it sure seems like it used to be as bear said. Wonder when, or if, they changed it, or if there was a transcription error on the books for years?

20. stalkingbear

I guess I stand corrected then. I was positive it was 28OAL for shotguns. I'll call my local BATFE to verify it but it looks like I was wrong so far.