Shotgun vs. Rifle for deer hunting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Prorebel, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Prorebel

Prorebel New Member

2. marc29th

marc29th Member

It all depends on the terrain you are hunting in. You should have both a good rifle and shotgun to choose from.

3. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Depends where you are and what your setup is.

4. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

I'll take a rifle.

5. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

A lot of people use shotguns because of the challenge. I'll take a rifle, just because it's far more accurate.

6. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

some hunters use shotgun because of the state thay live in

7. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Isn't that only NY though?

8. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Nope, Michigan and Ohio also have such laws as well as a couple of others I believe.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Why are you asking the question? Trying to decide?

I personally would pick a rifle. Any decent rifleman can out gun a shotgunner in the field. If we are strictly talking game here, I'm all over a rifle.

10. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Most shotgunners are just as good with a rifle as a shotgun. Plus they practice shooting things besides static targets.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Rifle........but it depends on your state's regs.

12. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

illinois is shotgun or bow only at least when i lived there. some areas of fl are shotgun only also depending on the season

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

With NY, it depends on the county you hunt in. In the area I live in (for now. Wife and I are planning a move in the next 10 months.) the county to the east does not allow rifles, the county to the south-east allows them throughout the cpounty, and the one I live in we can use rifles south of US RT 20. All of my spots are in the county I live in and south of rt 20, so forme, it depends on where I'll be that day. Open fields, rifle. Deep in the woods, pistol and\or shotgun. As a bonus, if you have a rifle caliber pistol and a pistol permit, you can use it in the non-rifle areas.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Here in michigan the state is cut in half right in the middle of the mitten,south half has to use only shotuns or straight walled pistols (44mag etc)and I think recently they began allowing straight walled rifles as well such as 45-70.Northern michigan is all rifle zone,you can use any kind of gun,rifles,pistols,shotguns,muzzleloaders,crossbows,bows all in the firearms season.

15. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Yup. I live in this beautiful state. As a matter of fact, I'm only about 30 miles from the zone line that separates shotgun from rifle. Guess which side I'm on :rolleyes:?

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Lots of people are quick to say shotguns are inaccurate. Just like any gun you have to have the proper equipment. If you have a rifled barrel and good sabots, your shotgun is a low speed 50 cal. It's not target shooting accurate but hitting a paper plate isn't difficult at 100 yards, the same distance that all but gifted shooters are accurate with a rifle using open sights.

17. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN New Member

Exactly. To me, I don't see a need to hunt with a rifle where I'm at. I have plenty of WMA's to go to and they are heavily forested and shots of 100+ yards are difficult at best (also, many of them are shotgun or archery only). I hunt more than just deer, so having multiple barrels fits the bill and is less expensive than multiple rifles.

Though, should I decide to go hunt elk, etc on the open range, a rifle would work better. Then again, I'd just stalk them and shoot with my bow. I enjoy the hunt more than I do actually killing an animal.

18. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I enjoy eating tasty critters more than hunting them. Pass the gravy please...

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yep, here in Indiana its shotgun, muzzleloaders or rifles that fire straight walled cases, like .45 long colt. We cannot use high powered rifles with bottleneck cases. I use a 12 gauge shotgun, either my NEF single shot with scope firing Remington Copper Solid sabot slugs or my NEF pump using cheap "pumpkin ball" slugs.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My preference is a rifle if it's legal in the area I'm hunting.

I've never hunted anything but birds and men swith a shotgun.

If I had to use a straight walled pistol carridge, I'd use my 16 inch barrel Winchester lever gun in .44 magnum. Another good option would be an AR-15 with a .50 Beowulf upper. But I don't have one of those! (Yet!)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012