Shotgun survival adaptor

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by deathkricket, May 14, 2016.

1. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus New Member

Interesting. I don't know how to feel about it though.

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Something to waste money on. The adapters that I have personally tried were very inaccurate. A novelty item at best. As always your views maybe different.

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

The drop-in sleeves are 7 inches so you probably have roughly a six or five and a half inch barrel depending on the round. the sleeves are fully rifled for increased accuracy and they State they test them and while not as accurate as the original firearm are decently accurate. I bet they are probably good for 100 yards or so.

My opinion this is great for some one who can't afford a lot of firearms or maybe somewhere the law makes it not worth your time to buy more then on or two. And as always in a WROL sistuition it can be very very handy to shoot any ammunition you can salvage. It reminds me of The Book of Eli where the bandits on the high way say " is that thing loaded.....no...they never are.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For pistol ammo, not a problem. For the pressures with some rifle cartridges- like .308- the receiver of a shotgun is not designed or built to handle that pressure. Pressures of a shotshell are MUCH lower.

Please note that some of the pressure WILL go to the rear. Which is why you can't just put a rifle barrel on an H&R shotgun receiver.

6. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Do you think that a short "barrel" length of 7" would prevent the progressive burn nature of smokless powder from building to much more of a extent with a rifle calibure then say the preassure a 12ga builds while running the full length of the barrel in terms of case blow by ? Given you will only recive minimum blow by of the shell casing I think your main problem would be the 308 shell casing stamping into the breach face of single shot with maybe lower quality metulergy.

7. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I think it is not cost effective. It might work for a person living way off the grid that depended on salvaged ammo? The folks on the TV program "The Boonies"? I also agree with C3Shooter about the 308 pressure being excessive for an old single shot.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I myself feel it would be a much better deal to pick up a used H&R\NEF Handi-Rifle in .308 or .45-70, and SBR it*. At that point, buy a used shotgun and .22 LR barrel pair, and cut them down to 12 to 14 inches as well, and have them fit to the receiver of the Handi-Rifle. This way, you will have properly crowned muzzels, sights, and a nice compact option, that will allow you to get the best accuracy out of that system, as well as optics mounting options.

*(Note: Check NFA Laws to make sure you can legally add the other two barrels, as you may need additional Tax Stamps for each. Also, check your local and state laws.)

IMHO, that would be a far better way to waste about $700 all in. It would also better serve you in a survival situation.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a 5" 20 gauge to 9mm Luger adapter to try out. Accuracy is marginal unless the sights are set specifically for it. At 10 yards it shoots close to point of aim then it keeps on climbing. At 25 yards it was over a foot high. I tried rotating it to no avail. I can do better with a pistol. I have seen some good targets turned in at 50 yards but a red dot adjusted for the adapter was used. You need 2 sets of sights. A Savage 24 would be more useful. I saw one the other day in 223/20 gauge in very nice condition for $460.
    The single shot 12 gauge shotguns are not fun to shoot unless you are a recoil junky. I dont need a detached retina. I have 2 12's and much prefer the 20 gauge. You can carry more 20 than 12 and 410 is even lighter. Unless you are in bear country, a 410 would make a good survival firearm. A 3" 1/4 oz (124 grain) slug @ 1700 fps is quite a bit hotter than a 357 magnum 125 grain from a 4" barrel. With proper loads you could take anything from squirrel to deer and you can carry quite a few of them.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. JTJ

I have an H&R in 357 cut down to 16.5" with iron sights and a red dot. The 357 gains 300-400 fps in the longer barrel and maxes out at 16-17". 38 spl will come up to 357 handgun velocities. I take it and a 357 revolver when I am out in the boonies. A 44 Mag pair would work also.

11. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

Living in the "B I G C I T Y" i rather have more ammo to feed my semi-auto, than buy a single shot shotgun with those barrels.

12. JTJ

You are right. The $500 for the adapter set will get you a lot of HP ammo for your sidearm and it will be more accurate.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

$500 will buy a hi point 9mm carbine and $200 worth of ammo.

14. kfox75

And extra magazines if you look for a beat looking used one, and send it back for refurb. Best part of that is, it's covered under the lifetime warranty, and they send you a free mag with when it comes back to you, good as new.

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

With all of the weapons in the world to chose from, why would you arm yourself with a single-shot pistol of any caliber? How long do you think it would take to reload one of those adapters? If you carry a handful of the things with your gear, you just as well carry another real gun. I call gimmick. I have no use for gimmick guns.

16. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I agree. Sounds like a gimmick to me. Hard to imagine a situation where an inaccurate, single shot shotgun adapted to a handgun is better than the full use of the handgun it's mounted on.

17. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

It's not for a handgun-it's for a shotgun.

18. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Fair enough, but with a barrel length of 6-7 inches, it's certainly not a rifle either. And for $500 you can get something much better than a single shot shotgun / single shot rifle adaptor.

19. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Most of these adapters are very very slow to reload. You open the shotgun and remove the adapter then have a dowel or other tool to push out the empty shell. Then put the adapter back in the gun and then put a fresh shell in the adapter.

20. kfox75

Especially if you are willing to look at pre-owned options. Hell, that's a used Glock and extras, a matched pair of Hi Points (Rifle and pistol, which you can use the rifle mag in the pistol), a decent used mid range AR, or an 870\500 with an extra barrel and ammo.

Now, for something to f#@% around with at the range, that's a different matter, but one would be better off buying a used Marlin Papoose or a Charter Arms AR7 with extra mags, and a few thousand rounds with the price difference if all you want is a range toy or BOB unit. and there are free ways to make that AR7 run even the cheap stuff and remain accurate. All of mine will run cheap bulk ammo through each of my mags, and i can get the same accuracy out of them as i can with the 10\22. It can be done.