shotgun stories

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kiabe1, Feb 24, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Hi people i was hoping to hear stories about the first time you shot a shotgun

2. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

tin cans in the woods with an ivor johnson. was 16 years old.

3. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Did the recoil surprise you

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Yo, nimrod, how young do you think some of us are? I probably got undie stains older than you!!:D

5. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

Youth day at the range, 7 years old, dropped the gun after the shot. It was a pretty good day

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I was "older". It was a 16 gauge and it hurt my shoulder.

7. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Unfortunately I can never forget my first time. It was recorded, though the tape is long since lost. We were quail hunting with dogs and a bird took off in front of me, maybe 10 feet away. 4 shots later I was laying on the ground. I had hit the bird with the first one, at all of 12 feet and turned it into nothing more than a mass of feathers and a mangled remains. I learned my lesson, that was the first and last time a gun put me on the ground.

8. CapnJack

CapnJack New Member

My step dad took me out in the woods witha 4-10. I shot it once held approx. 2in. away from my shoulder. I didnt cry, but tears came to my eyes and i felt like a sally lol. He explained what went wrong. Lesson learned,always the hardway for me for some reason.:rolleyes:

9. longunner

longunner New Member

First time I ever shot a gun it was a shotgun. Me and my dad were on vacation in Vermont and he took me to a walk through trapshooting course. It was the greatest birthday present I ever got I'm pretty sure I was 13 or so at the time. It's too bad my father is anti gun I really wish I could shoot with him :(

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Age 5. Harrington & Richardson single shot .410, 2 inch shells. Gun I was given day I was born. Dad warned me it would push, to pull it in hard to shoulder. Hit my first 3 targets, Dad said he thought I would never stop grinning.

11. paperplatetargets

paperplatetargets New Member

First time, 12ga and in my 20's and at clay targets. I really didn't think it hurt that much...until the next day. Then it hurt along with the softball size bruise I now had :)

12. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

MANY years ago,
    my Brother took me and the family 410 S/S out to the back yard
    fired 1 or 2 shots.
    Sadly, as I was raised to be afraid of everything,
    I did not enjoy it.
    How ever,
    I made up for it by shooting a LOT of Trap and Skeet,
    and
    Dove and Duck hunting.
    Sure wish I had that gun now.

13. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

it was a dbl bbl herc with 6 shot. you bet it did!

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I was 8 Y.O. and it was a SXS 16 guage. It was grand dads gun which was made in the late 1800's. This shotgun was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Don't shoot it anymore because it has a damascus barrel.

15. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Age 64 when first shooting a Mossberg 590A1 two years ago. Replace pad with more cushion to reduce recoil impact. Felt powerful when first pulling trigger. I immediately felt sorry for anyone on the receiving end. Truly! :D

16. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

My first was a single shot 20 gauge i didnt have it seated right so to say the recoil surprised me is a bit of an understatement, and lets not forget the bruising lol

17. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

28 gauge, don't remember how old I was. I have that gun actually. I need to take it to a smith and have it redone. It's practically worthless, but has sentiment. It belonged to my great uncle who has Down syndrome. He is almost 70 now. They took his guns from him when he shot across the road.

Winchester model 37A.

18. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I didn't shoot my first shot gun till I was 13, my old man wasn't home and my cousin wanted to go shooting so he stopped by and picked me up I grabbed my 22 and my 30-30 and my cousin had his 12 gauge rem 870 3 1/2" chamber. I didn't know jack about shotguns and I told him I wanted to shoot it. Well he drops in a 3 1/2 mag (still have the empty) it was two hits the shot hit the target I hit the ground my shoulder was so damn sore I had to stop shooting. Fun but I felt that for a while.

19. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I really don't remember. Probably started shooting 22s around 8 and somewhere along the line shotguns came into the picture. I can remember a lot of first shots with different guns for different reasons. A Zephyr Thunderbird was notable because I touched off both barrels of that 10 gauge at the same time. I must have been 14 because it was goose season but I didn't have a driver's license yet. The owner grabbed it as i went by.

20. Garadex

Garadex New Member

20 gauge at Boy Scout camp, I think it was a Benelli. Crappy instructor didn't teach me how to shoot right so I had to get instruction from someone else before I started hitting anything. Still not very good though.