Shotgun Sights!

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by PowerViolence, Sep 22, 2011.

1. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Hello!
    I am looking for a good set of sights for my Mossberg500. I'm using the stock bead at the moment. Originally I wanted a ghost ring sighting system but after realizing the sight it self is almost $100 then another $100 for a gunsmith to silver solder it on there... I even considered buying the Mossberg 590A1 barrel that comes installed with the front ghost ring, but soon realized that was pretty hard to come by.
    So I am looking for a set of rifle sights or fibre optic that install on a mossberg 500. I have found a few here in there on impactguns and brownells, but I would like some of your opinions. Preferably a set of dights that does not require major gun smithing.

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Snake, i've got a winchester SXP defender, do you know if these would work on it? i am kinda in the same situation too. also what would you suggest for a rear sight as mine has nothing?

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

It depends on how you plan to use your Mossberg 500. Personally I really like the Mossberg 500 dual bead setup.

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sadly, I don't have any idea. I only have experience with Remingtons and Mossbergs, i have no idea what kind of set-up Winchesters have. It also matters whether you are attaching the new sights to the barrel or a ventilated rib on the barrel. Tritium sights are available for all set-ups and thread pitches in the major brands, I just don't have any idea what the Winchesters have. Someone will come along for soon that can say though.

As far as as rear sights, IMO they are not needed. Shotguns are point and shoot. :cool:

6. Axxe55

thanks snake. i will just study on this untill i figure it out. point and shoot, huh! as i get older, my eyesight gets worse, and i need all the help i can get!

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

You might even save money and frustration by getting a whole new barrel with the sights you want on it,usually fixed choke barrels with sights are about $150

8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

BTW, I use the XS "Big Dot" tritium sight on my Rem. 870. It is epoxied in-place over the pressed-fit bead sight that comes on the front pedistal of the Rem. shotguns. It gives excellent visibility for day and night which allows for superb accuracy.

Attached Files:

9. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

is that tritium sight just a replacement bead? I really want a dual sighting system. I'm really drawn toward rifle like sights.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, most tritium sights for shotguns are just the front sight that replaces the original bead. Unless you're shooting slugs, rifle type sights really aren't needed for for shooting shot. Especially if you are using the shotgun for HD for instance where the distance to the target is short. There are smoothbore replacement barrels for Mossberg 500's that come fitted with front & rear rifle sights already mounted. It's an easy 5-minute job to replace the barrel. :cool:

Here's a good example of the barrel I am talking about:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=819612

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  11. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

i used this barrel setup on my mossberg 500 it works great, the sights are williams and I went to their site and replaced the sights with fiber optic ones. for an additional $30 or you could send your barrel to williams and they will install the fiber optic ones on it for about $75 i think, I like the 7+1 capacity on mine

good luck

12. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

the 18" barrel suits me best though. I don't know, I will figure something out here eventually. Thanks though.

13. Axxe55

my idea for another type of sight is something that would be more visible in low light or darkness. that tiny gold bead on the front is hard for me to see in daylight much less in the dark! i have thought about the ghost ring type sights, any input on them?

14. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I like the ghost ring system, but I have found out getting a set for my mossberg is kind of pricey. I don't know what kind of shotgun you have but I can get a set from Mossberg for around $80. then I would have to go to the gun smith and have him silver solder the front one onto the barrel, which I got a $100 estimate. So that's a $180 sighting system. Seems a bit pricey, I should have bought a 590a1.

15. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I'm starting to think i Might just save my self the trouble and just get a tritium for this 500 and just buy a 590 A1.