shotgun serial numbers

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by dragunovsks, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Does anyone know of a website where i can lookup the serial numbers of an 870? Buying a scope mount for my fil for xmas and we would like to find out what year the shotgun is.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I found this, never used it myself but try calling Remington, 1-800-243-9700 they're suppose to have an automated option just for dateing your remington firearms.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

What's the serial number? Barrel swapping is too common to trust that. And Remington's telephone service is VERY suspect. According to them 2 of my 1100s don't exist.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Tried that, the barrel had a number on it on the left side just in front of the receiver but it was a 5-digit number followed by the letter V. I got what i think is the serial number off the receiver. I assume the receiver would have the serial number because the receiver is the main part on the gun. He said the barrel thats on it is the original barrel.

C3shooter, i tried your site for my 870 express magnum and discovered it was made in feb of 97', thanx. My only other question is, is this number system accurate for all models of 870's? Mine is an express magnum and my fil's 870 is a wingmaster.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Actually, that shows the date the barrel was produced for ALL Remingtons of any model- rifle or shotgun- since 1921.

And I should have specified- BARREL. Rifles usually wear same barrel forever, shotguns swap out a lot. Yeah, SN is on receiver, letter code on barrel- about a half inch forward of receiver. I usually have to use a magnifier and an oblique light source to read them. Itty bitty letters.