Shotgun scabard?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by hq357, Jul 4, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Does anyone own one of these? Im thinking about buying one as a case for my mossberg 500 i dont really like the traditional zipper bag or the hard cases out there and plus i can carry this with me while i go hunting and trap/skeet shooting because i don have a sling yet and i also dont want to carry an ammo box around some of the scabbards have molle webing on them so i can weave in a shotgun shell pack and my gun wont get scratched up is this a good idea? What do you guys thing? Im looking at the nc star scabbard right now does anybody here own a scabbard? If so what do you think about it do you like it? Can you fit a 28 inch barrel with a standard stock in it? What brand do you have?

image-2600419579.jpg

;)

Attached Files:

2. hq357

hq357 New Member

Can i fit a 28" barrel into one?

3. Seven

Seven New Member

My semi-educated guess would be a resounding 'no'.
    Most all of the 'tactical scabbards' are made for 18ish" barrels.

If you will look at the pics you posted, and make a guesstimate at grip-to-barrel length...no way a 28" barrel fits.

4. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

No just tryed it with my weatherby 28. It fits with the 21in slug barrel okish.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I have one. Several of my guns fit fine in it. My Rem 870 Special Field with a 21" fits pretty good.

6. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks kinda cool, but I would just get a sling. Looks like more of a PITA to pull the shotgun out of, and I would be worried about muzzle sweep myself.

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you look carefully, you can find longer scabbards for the longer-barrelled shotguns. They are tough to get in and out the first couple of dozen times, then it starts to shape to your gun and get smoother. If you like the idea, pick one up and try it. You can always sell it if you find it totally unworkable.

8. hq357

hq357 New Member

This is the one i bought off of amazon its coming in the mail! :D

image-3959546351.jpg

Nc star vism tactical shotgun scabbard

9. hq357

hq357 New Member

And if the 28 inch barrel dosent fit then i will cut a hole big enough for the barrel and screw in a metal gromet to prevent it from frayin ripping or opening up

image-966433753.jpg

Maybe ill sew in a extra piece of canvas or strong material to prevent the bare barrel from touching the ground kinda like a condom or maybe ill drop in an extension made out of steel or a polymer and screw it into the gromet.

10. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-3404189532.jpg

Kinda like this

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I got mine to use strapped to my motorcycle or my 4-wheeler(legal here). If it is to carry on your back, instead use a sling.

12. hq357

hq357 New Member

Well i dont really want a sling it gets in the way and snags on trees i kind of want the whole bag to be with me itll be used kind of like a bug out bag or kit it has molle webbing so i can attach an ammo pack and anything else i want but this is going to be used as my shotgun case/ shotgun bug out bag ill try and keep it light theres slings that have shell holders but i think im just going to buy a belt or bandolier that holds 52 fold it up and put it in a pouch attached to the bag. when me and my stepdad go clay shooting we just take turns carrying the shotgun and we carry an ammo can as we walk down the trail. with the pack ill be able to carry my shotgun and alot more ammo and protect my shotgun from the sun dirt and scratches all in one the shoulder strap are padded and it might be heavy but the gun isnt always going to be in the sccabard its just there to sheath my shotgun and give me ammo when i need to.

13. hq357

hq357 New Member

Man my grammar really sucks! I just read my post hahaha!!!

14. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-373088344.jpg

My idea is kinda like this!

15. hq357

hq357 New Member

image-3192151149.jpg

Accept i will attach this pouch onto it

16. hq357

hq357 New Member

Or should i go like this with a sling? Ahahaha!

image-753895412.jpg

You can put all those shells inside of a neat pouch on a bag insead haaha of carrying all those shells

17. hq357

hq357 New Member