Shotgun reloading question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by RustyShackleford101, Mar 6, 2014.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I shoot trap a lot,and I think it would be beneficial to start reloading shotgun shells. I ordered a Lee Loadall II online and I have a question. I hunt goose,and could I load rounds potent enough to take Canada's, using steel shot and 3-inch hulls? Also,could I load buckshot and slugs? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would start slow. Just mess around with birdshot until you can reload good shells all the time. In time, you will see that you can easily reload anything but slugs. Boutique shotgun ammo has proprietary powders other components that you can not buy in a cost effective manner or at all. If your objective is to reload shells at least as good as Winchester AA ammo you can save money.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I do !................

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Lee is fine for field loads. I would not really consider it the best choice for steel or 3" loads. Slugs will probably require a roll crimper (available from Ballistic Products). Lee makes a slug mold designed for a standard wad and fold crimp. I hear mixed reviews on this slug. I use a Lyman 7/8 oz foster slug mold and roll crimp with very good results. I also cast my own buckshot and load using Winchester red wads or filler wads from BPI.

And I use a Mec loader for 12 ga. I use a lee load all II for 20 ga

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I load 3 inch magnum BB`s with my Lee Load all II, I use steel BB gun BB`s & they work great !................