Shotgun price?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by VazDaGoon, May 29, 2013.

1. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

How much does a used mossberg go for? I'm looking for a cheap shotgun but I don't want it to be a peace of sh*t. My budget is about 300-350 bucks. Can anyone please help?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

question. do you want a cheap shotgun or an inexpensive one? huge difference.

unless prices are hugely inflated in your area, i don't see why you couldn't get a Mossberg 500 for that amount.

might also browse the gun stores and pawn shops in your area for good used shotguns.

3. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Inexpensive* sorry. I actually want the 500. My cousin bought his new for 400 bucks total. I figured if I only have 300 bucks I can possibly buy a used one. I'm new to shotguns so I'm not sure. I called dicks sporting goods and their prices were also about 400-450 for a new one.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Not sure where you are at, but you can easily find a brand new Mossberg persuader type shotgun for about 300-330 dollars around here.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

6. Axxe55

check out the Maverick M88 shotguns. made by Mossberg and almost identical to the M500 and priced much lower than the M500. very good inexpensive shotgun. not quite as pretty as some of the others, but very reliable and functional. i have one and it's my second one so far. wouldn't hesitate in buying another one.

7. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I wouldn't rule out buying a used shotgun, I would just read up on what to look for in a used gun, even if you end up buying a new one. Either way it's valuable information in general. The Mossberg is a fine choice.

8. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I'm in PA. Berks county.

9. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

At the risk of sounding picky, would I be able to effectively hunt turkey with the M88, what's the difference besides looks, and will I be able to buy a new one given my budget? Sorry

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Check on places like Gun Genie to find an FFL dealer in your area who does Transfers. Depending on the state, you may or may not have to pay taxes. Out here its state sales tax is free. So the price you see on a gun over the internet is the price, plus about 15 to 20 dollars for a dealer to handle the paper work. No sales tax is great. And many places like buds guns, etc, pay the shipping on the gun.

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

And check your Walmart. They generally have Mossbergs for good prices.

The M88 will easily take a turkey, How good of a stalker or caller depends on your own skills.

12. Axxe55

most definately! this is the one i have currently with the 28" barrel and it also uses the same chokes as the Mossberg M500. here's a link to one. that price is MSRP and might be much lower at a gun store. it's really a solid performing shotgun.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/...&mfg=Maverick+Arms&mdlno=Model+88+All+Purpose

13. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

My local Wal-Mart has a 500 for $280 but the wood is kinda cheap looking.

14. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I never bought a firearm online. I don't know why I feel weird about it. Maybe it's because I never did it. Ill look into it though. Thanks.

15. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Idk if its a PA thing but our Walmart doesn't sell any guns. At all!

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Actually you just go to the local FFL dealer, and point out the one you saw on line, he does all the work. You pay him a percentage to order the gun. When it comes in, you pay the rest, and his 20 dollar fee and 7 dollar background check. FFL dealers do it for a living, so its easy for them. They give you a receipt, so everything is just like a store but without the fancy neon lights etc.

17. Axxe55

the turkeys won't care if the wood is cheap looking!:eek::p:D

might see if one of your local gun stores will order it for you. save you from having to pay shipping and transfer fees.

i too never bought a gun online either. bought lots of stuff online, just never a gun though.

18. Axxe55

some WalMarts do and some don't. even some towns that have several of them, one of them might sell guns and another one might not. check some of the other close towns around you and see if they sell guns. call their sporting goods ans see if they sell guns. it would save you from driving and finding out they don't sell them.

19. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Sounds awesome

20. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I just checked on the Walmart app. No luck so far