Shotgun or .22?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by beastmode986, Aug 14, 2012.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

What would make a better first gun? Ruger 10/22, gsg522, remington 870,pardner pump? .22 has cheaper ammo and is semi automatic and holds more ammo. Shotgun holds less but is more powerful. What do you guys think would be a better first gun while keeping home defense in mind?

2. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

First gun .. Humm I always say a .22... I think if my first shots were with a shotgun I might have been turned off from the sport.. Thats a whole lot of kick.

If the person getting the gun has shot before and needs something to protect the family I say shootie!

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

.22 would be the best first gun IMO. It allows an individual to work on getting the fundamentals of marksmanship down before moving on to bigger calibers.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, also plenty adequate for tree rats and other varmints (not politicians).

5. Hdq

Hdq New Member

I say get the shotgun it truly is a multi pourpose tool you can use it for home defense, hunting, shooting clay or birds you can put down anything from a buffalo with 12 guage slug to a rabit with birdshot you can even breach doors if you have too! the 870 is nice but you can get the pardner pumps that are clones for much cheaper! Check out mossberg 590 ultimate home defense shotgun it has a bayonet lug perfect for poking people in your home ;) the mossberg 500s are nice too there is a huge after market for them and there pretty cheap i saw one at big 5 that comes with 2 barells one 18 inch one 26 inch for only 350$ perfect for the first gun owners other shotguns just come with the stock barrel military has been using mossbergs for a while so have hunters and law enforcment when shtf most likley youll see sombody with a mossy you can trade parts with

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

HDQ, our friend beastmode is 14. Not yet ready for bayonets.

Beast, my kids (and my grandkids) started with a .22 rifle, for all of the reasons given. They also started with a BOLT action- so that they learned to SHOOT, not to try to spray bullets somewhere in the general direction of the target. As a result, I have 2 of my girls (and two of their daughters) that can outshoot a lot of guys. One of my sons is now a retired Marine, who shot Expert his entire career.

Take a year or so to learn the rifle, and then try a 20 g shotgun. Recoil is a bit less than a 12 g, still capable of hunting anything from Dove to Deer- but shotguns handle differently.

7. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

10/22 then later the 870. Dont listen to the Mossbergers on here!!

Badshot

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Wasn't there just a thread with a malfunctioning 870 on here? Lol

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

.22 if u r a youngin'.

10. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

My son (13) got a Rossi combo with 22 and 20ga barrels. The fact it was a single shot helps him learn to make shots count and the multiple safeties make me feel better about it. Once I felt he had learned to be safe and to shoot he got a Henry.

11. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

MM your just creating a scene! Someone may have dreamt that a 870 malfunctioned, woke up and saw their Mossbogger sitting in the corner and sighed, wishing they had the 870 again.:D

Badshot

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol......... ;)

13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Recoil dosent bother me, I kind of want a bolt action as well but i would rather get it in .22 magnum or 17 hmr for extra a little extra stopping power. Quick question I was playing battlefield 3 ( Im 14 and no I dont get my facts from video games like other kids.) and I had a remington 870mcs, whats the difference between the 870 and 870mcs? Is the mcs just tacticool?

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

What the hell is a shootie ????????????

15. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

My first gun was a single shot .410.

16. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Shootie, sounds like name of a pimp on a 70s detective show.

Badshot

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

It's what you do with those funny cigarettes that you roll up :D At least that's what we use to call them from what I heard :cool:

18. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I second badshots suggestion and encourage you to follow his advice on the mossbergers :p

19. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Yes the remmy 870mc is just a tactical version. And if you want this gun for plinking or hunting dont get a 17hmr imo. It's ammo is more expensive and the bullet is so light that over 50 yards your bullet is getting blown every where even if its like 5mph. I have used a 22 mag for years and love it. Get a 22mag you wont regret it.

20. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

The first gun I ever shot was a shotgun. It was a 20 gauge 870 if I recall correctly.