Shotgun noobie

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 22Plinkster, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 22Plinkster

22Plinkster New Member

I just recently became a shot gun owner, so i`m not sure at all of what to use. I got a used Mossberg 500 with a 28" rifled barrel and a new H&R Pardner with a 18 or 18.5" smooth barrel. Both are pumps.

There are so many different kinds and types of ammo out there, that it is really confusing on what to buy. Suggestions sure would help. :) Thank you.

2. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Really depends on what you're going to use it for, bird hunting, home defense etc.

3. 22Plinkster

22Plinkster New Member

Well, the H&R Pardner I was wanting to use as HD, and the mossberg, because it has the 28" barrel, I would just use at the range. Use the H&R at the range also. Some ammo says to use with rifled barrels and some say to use with smooth barrels, and then a LOT of them dont say either way.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

A 12 ga. is the most versatile gun around. The ammo and choke amke that the case. This is a really big topic. May I suggest a book on shotgunning? No particular one offhand...

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I doubt either barrel is rifled. IME, the rifled barrels are usually about 22" long and have rifle-type sights. The ones i've seen were labeled as slug barrels or rifled barrels. Some slugs work better in those rifled barrels; this is good for reasonably close deer hunting.

Opinions vary on HD ammo; some people say buckshot all the way, while others say turkey loads are better, while still others use smaller shot in fears of overpenetration or misdirected shots.