Shotgun laser idea

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TankTop, Jul 20, 2014.

1. TankTop

TankTop Active Member Supporter

So I have had an idea in my head for a longtime, another post just reminded me of it. Please tell me how it's a good/bad idea or how to make it work or why it wouldn't work.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405864255.880386.jpg

A three dot laser, it could be adjustable to approximate spread. LED lasers are getting very small so it could go in a barrel shroud. Anyway, maybe it's not practical but I bet if you could make a tacticool looking mount you would sell a bunch just on coolness factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. indy36

indy36 New Member

The Predator needed 3 lasers so he could kill 3 bad guys at once. I'm not sure I need 3 on any gun.

3. indy36

indy36 New Member

But a circle that was a smiley face, now we're talking.

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

To get the right pattern, and make it adjustable - sounds like a huge hassle and a lot of work to me.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I agree with one thing. If you can make it tacticool looking you will sell a bunch. Doesn't have to actually do a thing.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

LaserLyte makes one with nine laser beams; eight encircling one in the center.

No offense and none taken

7. MisterMcCool

Here it is.
    LaserLyte® re-engineers the best-selling Kryptonyte® Center Mass laser system to give users a choice between two laser patterns; single dot or the popular Center Mass pattern. The Center Mass laser feature projects a ring of eight green laser dots with one green laser dot in the center as the aiming laser. The circle grows at one-inch per yard, approximately the same configuration as a shotgun aimed at a moving target. The green laser, both single and Center Mass pattern, aid the user in daylight visibility, giving the user the advantage of a wide field-of-view while using both eyes for aiming.
    http://www.laserlyte.com/products/sight-cm-dual-lens-black
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405874561.772856.jpg

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lasers are hard to see during the day in sunlight. Not the beam, but the dot when it lands on something. In order to make it visible in sunlight, it'd have to be very strong, and not something you'd want to fool around with, because at that point it'd be dangerous.

9. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

You're correct in the fact that "red" is hard to see. The green lasers that are out now for firearms are much better in daylight. Pricier and the battery life is shorter though.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, I don't know a ton about gun lasers. I've always taken a pass...

11. TankTop

TankTop Active Member Supporter

Anyone remember the cheap laser pointers with holographic interchangeable tips?

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405896243.064015.jpg

How about one rugged with a couple different options? And yes a smiley face would definitely be an option although explaining that after a home defense situation may be awkward!

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1405896461.320254.jpg

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Gun gimmicks sell very well. They don't necessarily have to be effective. Work on it, it may serve you well. Good luck!

13. MisterMcCool

I would wear that thing out! :D

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Yeah I remember those. I still have one of the very first laser sights ever offered to the shooting public that pre-dates those LED laser pointers. It uses an actual high voltage helium/neon laser tube. I know it puts off some type of high frequency sound that people can't hear, but my cat sure could!
    I could flip the switch on and off for just one second, and the cat would wake up from a dead sleep at the opposite end of the house and come running looking for the source of that sound. Had a lot of fun tortur...... err, ummmm.... PLAYING with the cat with that thing. :D

[​IMG]

15. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

^
    Good lawd!!!!!!!!!!

16. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

My god how much does that thing weigh?!

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

looking at the size of it, probably as much as the gun!:eek:

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You know, they still make this pointers with the interchangeable tips. They have them in the pet stores. I like to see old stuff that used to be cutting edge. But I can't believe anyone put something that big on their gun. I wonder how much it cost back then?

19. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Surprisingly, not much! :D

I'll have to dig it out of the safe and throw it on a scale......

EDIT TO ADD:
    10 ounces (batteries not included.) It uses two 9V batteries.
    It has a Weaver style clamping system, so it can go on long guns too. Yes it's bulky compared to today's miniature LED lasers. But circa 1980 it was the only game in town.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  20. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Me too. :)

Around $200 IIRC. Early 1980's....