Firearms Talk banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
With a cylinder bore barrel, OO buck will generally spread at a rate of 1"/yard from the barrel to the target. 20 yard range - 20" pattern. You shold expect at least 50% hits at that range. 14" or 20" barrel really does not matter much at all. Some of the newer "tactical" loads will do better than that. Federal Tactical OO buck will cut that pattern in half.

Against an un-armored adversary the 14" 870 and OO buck is VERY lethal at 20 yards. Remember, the game is written with parameters set out by some Army brass who favor rifles over shotguns for combat. They do not want new recruits thinking a shotgun is superior to their M-4
That is what I was thinking. There's no way a 14" barrel would gimp a shotgun to not be able to hit anything past 10 yards, that's just ridiculous. 14" has to be plenty to guide the shot. Then you factor the Armys premium ammunition, barrel chokes, and testing of the weapon. Shotgun in this game is stupid, but I think they did something to it with the recent patch.

The army only uses (as far as I know) a 14" barrel for breaching doors. I was under the impression the army/navy uses the 590a1 with a 20" barrel. That game is a recruiting tool. I think the game ARMA 2 is supposed to be more accurate than Americas army the game. Oh and I own the 590a1 and an 870 in 18" barrel. I sure as **** wouldn't want to stand in front of EITHER one at 20 yds haha...wow.

The army only uses (as far as I know) a 14" barrel for breaching doors. I was under the impression the army/navy uses the 590a1 with a 20" barrel. That game is a recruiting tool. I think the game ARMA 2 is supposed to be more accurate than Americas army the game. Oh and I own the 590a1 and an 870 in 18" barrel. I sure as **** wouldn't want to stand in front of EITHER one at 20 yds haha...wow.
During my time in the Army I have yet to come across a 590. Our standard for Infantry is a 500 with a 16" to 18.5" barrel with your choice of a butt stock or pistol grip. During my time over sea's aside from my main weapon I carried a regular 500 with a 16" heavy barrel and a pistol grip with a 550 cord loop on a D ring to hang from my belt or vest. With a 16" barrel I could hit a cup at around 25 yards with winchester 00 buck so I'm sure you can hit a person at 20 yards with a 14" barrel, unless your using unbufferd military buck, that stuff patterns like crap in my opinion.

During my time in the Army I have yet to come across a 590. Our standard for Infantry is a 500 with a 16" to 18.5" barrel with your choice of a butt stock or pistol grip. During my time over sea's I carried a regular 500 with a 16" barrel and a pistol grip with a 550 cord loop on a D ring to hang from my belt or vest.
The navy uses the 590 Mariner. Never seen the 590 in the Army either. I own the 590 mariner myself.

I would think a gaming forum would be a better place to ask questions like this. FYI from what I gather from a good friend in the Rangers the only time they would use a shotgun is to blow locks off doors and clear some rooms so range really isn't a factor.

During my time in the Army I have yet to come across a 590. Our standard for Infantry is a 500 with a 16" to 18.5" barrel with your choice of a butt stock or pistol grip. During my time over sea's aside from my main weapon I carried a regular 500 with a 16" heavy barrel and a pistol grip with a 550 cord loop on a D ring to hang from my belt or vest. With a 16" barrel I could hit a cup at around 25 yards with winchester 00 buck so I'm sure you can hit a person at 20 yards with a 14" barrel, unless your using unbufferd military buck, that stuff patterns like crap in my opinion.
My unit had 590a1's but we never used them. The only time we needed more than a beretta m9 for patrol was the rodney king fallout week and we took out the hmmvw m16's and put the m60's on top. Skipped right over the shotgun. We also had a few 870. Not a fan at all of the 870.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.