shotgun impact point

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by nateb098, Feb 21, 2014.

1. nateb098

nateb098 New Member

My 12ga shoots 6 in right at 15 yard with multiple loads(slugs, buck, bird ,turkey loads) I have no idea how to fix this is it the beads not lining up correctly(my shotgun has a mid bead and a frontbead)or how im holding it??

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The gun does not fit you or you are jerking the trigger. One thing that will improve the point of impact, get your head down on the stock.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Or the gun could actually have a POI problem. Wouldn't be the first. Get someone else to shoot it and see if the results are the same.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

That is why they make barrel benders.

5. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

The first thing one should do w a new shotgun is pattern it. Get a large poster or piece of cardboard - I put mine on the middle stake in skeet field. I go out to station 4 and sit on a chair - try to minimize human error and get a clean release on the trigger. Make sure you get a stack "8" on the beads.

Try multiple brands, loads etc. and you might be surprised at the difference. Hopefully, one of them will group POI.

Next step: Just mount and fire at the tgt. Don't look at the bead/sight at all - just the tgt.

Once you know where the gun is shooting, you can adjust your sight picture/lead to tgt.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Open your EYES, you are closing one eye arn`t you, don`t do that. Look straight down the barrel with both eyes open & focus on your target & let the shotgun do the work..............Try it & let me know how you do.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

If that don`t work, lay the shotgun on its side & lay a straight edge on it & measure the gap on both sides to see if your barrel is bent.............

8. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Good grief. Stacking the beads should raise the POI. For checking POI they should be superimposed.
    You have two things to be concerned with. One is the POI of the gun. That is where the gun shoots, aiming from a good steady rest. The second is POI of the gun and you. For that one you mount the gun rapidly as you would when shooting at a target and shoot with both eyes open. The difference is attributable to gun fit, because your eye is the rear sight, and you don't have time to aim. The brain can overcome a lot of fit issues with practice, but it is a lot easier if the gun fits reasonably well to begin with. That's why Tom Knapp could shoot flying targets with the gun behind his back. The brain learns what sight picture produces results, even behind the back.

9. nateb098

nateb098 New Member

I'm a lefty so if it shoots right could it still be me jerking the trigger? Also when shooting slugs should I aim with the beads and one eye closed or just point like with birdshot

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

The definition of superimposed is to lay one thing on top of another. Why Browning called it's O/U - superimposed - ie One barrel on top or "stacked" upon another.

The mid bead is smaller than the front which gives the appearance of an "8" when the two are in-line w each other. I do not have a problem changing terms as long as the shooter keeps a consistent sight alignment and aims during the first phase of pattern testing.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't aim with the middle bead. The middle bead is nothing but a reference point that I have a good cheek weld (or my head is down and eyes open).

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Well to me, visually superimposed means that when you are looking at it one bead is lined up exactly with the other. Figure 8 means one - the front one - is on top of the other as you look at it.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nate. the solution is simple. If someone else shoots it and it is still 6 inches to the right, aim 6 inches to the left of where your desired point of impact is. Deer hunting in my county for all but 3 of the last 25 years was done with shotguns, most with a single bead. There is no rear reference point in that case, but the top of the receiver. To hit the deer in the heart or lungs with my old Maverick 88, I had to aim for the bottom of the chest as it hit 3 inches high with slugs.

One little bit of information not included in the OP is the make and model of your shotgun. With most shotguns if the barrel is bent you should be able to find a new or used barrel and swap it out to see if that truely is the issue. Do any of your friends have the same shotgun (gauge and model)? If so, try it out with their barrel, and see it that clears up the problem. If it does go to your LGS, and see if they have a replacement for the defectiuve one.

I too am a lefty, and if you were jerking the trigger, it would pull to the left.

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

14. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

No the solution is NOT that simple. If you are 6 inches off at 15 yards then 12 off at 30 and 18 at 45 yards. Very difficult to guess both range and hold off in the seconds you have with shotgun shots. If the gun actually does shoot off to the side that much then the barrel is bent and must be bent back to straight. The obvious very first move would be to verify that it is totally the shotgun at fault. Then make your next decision - sell it or fix it. You fail to say what shotgun. If it has replaceable barrels then borrow a barrel and try it again.

15. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I will add that in about 90% of similar cases, when I have shot the gun for POI it was okay. It was the shooter. The phenomenon is easy to see with handguns with adjustable sights. My daughter will have a gun set up for her and she can shoot lights out with it. If I shoot it, I have to crank the rear sight to get it much closer to the center of travel for me to be on target. We "see" things differently.

16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

No argument here. I guess I think about it differently than most due to the fact that I also bowhunt. therefore I shoot at varying distances when i practice, and different wind conditions when I practice at an outdoor range. thinking and doing the calculations fast is kind of a requirement in that case. A small, simple mistake could make the difference between a 50 yard track and a dead black bear, or a 5 mile track following a very POed, injured black bear. Kind of a problem here in NY due to the fact that DEC does not allow you to even enter the woods with another hunter carrying a firearm. :eek:

17. nateb098

nateb098 New Member

It was the choke got a new one works fine high with slugs but that's ok

The guns A benelli nova 12