Shotgun Home Defense

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Chuck87charger, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Chuck87charger

Chuck87charger New Member

What do you all keep in your home defense shot gun. I live in a side by side duplex in town and worry about buckshot carrying through walls and hurting neighbors in the event I need to use it. Has anyone done testing? Does anyone use the Aguila short shells?

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep #1 or #00 buck in mine. Are all of the apartments of the same or similar layouts? if not, the best advice I can give you is make friends with your neighbors, have a cook out, party etc. While hanging out with them you will probably be in their unit at some point. once you know the layout of their places, you will know where to shoot, and more importantly, where not to. 00 out of my wife's Mossberg HS 410 will go through most walls and doors, my 12 gauge 870 with #1 or #00 goes through a wall with no major problems. I had an opportunity to test them both at a house my friend was tearing down on his property. Neither one went through the studs, but both tore the cr@p out of doors ( the old thick kind, modern interior doors are not made that solid), paneling, and plasterboard. I live in an upper unit myself, and would not encounter that particular issue on 3 sides of my unit. I would never fire down or to the north for fear of hittng my daughter, or my landlord. The main entrance is to the south, so my biggest concearns would be window replacement, clean up, and keeping the landlord from returning fire.:D

Never tried the Aguila shells. If anyone else has, fill me in too please.

3. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The trick to shooting a shotgun in close quarters is hitting your target. While buckshot will pass through a bad guy it won't have enough velocity left to pass through a double layer fire wall. Building codes require two layers of 5/8 drywall on each side of demising walls in apartment buildings for fire safety. I would also get number 4 buckshot.

Unless you have a steel exterior door I would not count on a door to stop anything. Today's wood doors are made of veneer, which is very brittle. Most apartment buildings built after 1990 have steel entrance doors and veneer interior doors.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I keep my Mossberg 500 12 ga handy, loaded with 00 buck. Behind my house is a big yard then a hill that would stop anything that comes thru my wall. In front is a 100' yard, then a street, then a hill with my neighbor's house on top, so that would be pretty safe. The neighbors' houses on both sides are each about 100' away, which may or may not be sufficient. So if I have to shoot, I'll ask the BG to please stand by the back wall so I can shoot him without hitting my neighbor's house. :D

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A LEO posted on a previous thread that his department tested shotguns and for home defense found that BB was the smallest shot that would do the job and not over penetrate. I believe he recommended #4 buck as maximum for home defense.

6. Chuck87charger

Chuck87charger New Member

Thanks guys for the information. I may need to get some #4 shot.

7. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

My apartment isn't verry big and a shotgun isn't my first choice for a break in because of the tight spaces. I've got my .9mm and my .38 for that. I do keep my shotguns loaded one with slugs because I have a balcony that overlooks a large yard and a golf course. And one loaded with #6 shot 3 inch shells

8. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I prefer my handgun at home, but #4 is the way to go if I used my old '97Winchester riot. In the woods it's loaded with #00 buckshot.
    [​IMG]

9. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

Is #4 shot or buckshot. I've never seen any

10. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

11. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

My shotgun is loaded with my Trap or Skeet loads.
    I think if I have to shoot someone in my house,
    we are going to be
    REAL close.
    Don't need long range super loads
    if we are face to face.

12. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

Why is it better then say 00

13. shadecorp

# 4, Smaller.
    00, bigger.
    # 4, more shot per shell.

14. Dionysus03

Dionysus03 New Member

000 or military issue door breaching rounds. No worries about over-penetration at my place.

15. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

So more shot per shell just means more spread? Is it not going to penetrate as much either?

16. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Usually the sound of kachook is enough to cause the SOB to run for the hills, while leaving behind a brown skid mark.

17. shadecorp

In a given area,
    The smaller the shot,
    The more shot.
    And spread depends a Lot on the choke.
    My trap gun has a tight choke,
    small spread, more shot in the group.
    My Skeet gun has a more open choke,
    wider spread,
    less shot in the group.

18. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I would suggest #4 birdshot. It will go through muscle, flesh, and bone. I know, I've seen it. In close quarters, like your home, it will be lethal and over penetration won't be an issue. If by some miracle they survive the first shot, then you hit them again.

19. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

It takes 10 yards or more for any choke to spread more than a few inches. We have already established there is a one hour fire rated wall between apartments. I seriously doubt there is more than 10 yards inside your apartment. Get yourself a can of pepper spray if you are so frikin paranoid. You will not be able to use a weapon with all these crazy notions.

20. dsheppard

dsheppard New Member

I have one shot gun thats got a full choke and one with no choke. The no choked gun I keep slugs the full chocked I keep 6 shot. But like I said I've got pistols for my small apartment