Shotgun gauges?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Keginth28, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

I'm going to buy my first shotgun but not sure want gauge I should get its for home protection and for outdoors assault.

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Most get a 12. A 20 is perfectly capable of doing the job for home protection. I have a 12 as a dedicated defense gun. My wife's 20 ga. 870 express youth model is the back up. I have slugs and buckshot for both of them. If you are small in size a 20 makes particularly good sense. A lot less recoil and weight of the gun and ammo to contend with.

Oh, I forgot to ask, what are you going to assault?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

3. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

Lol I'm 210 6'1 and I'm mean if I want to get hunting and/or long range firing

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Be careful. Most places assault is against the law.

5. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

Yea I'm not a crazy person haha just want to be ready for anything

6. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

What wrong with being crazy :D

7. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

Not a thing haha

8. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

For deer a 20 will do just fine. Can get the lower flying sucks and geese too. A 12 to me is a little over kill on a deer. Does awesome for turkey, and if you get one that accepts 3.5 you can hit birds flying high. 12. Ga to me is more versatile than a 20. if you stray away from the two gauges. Shells start getting pricey. I.e. 410, 16, 10.

9. vincent

vincent New Member

Yeah, I hate those lower flying sucks!!! :D

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

12 gauge definatly isn't over kill on deer I killed a for this year that I shot 4 times all being good shots behind the front shoulder with a 12 gauge before she finally went down

11. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

Agreed. 3 good shots is what it took for me. Direct heart shot with a sabot it still ran 75 yds and needed 2 finish shots to be humane.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Wow.
    Anyway, 12 ga. unless you NEED a 20 ga. (for lighter guns, loads and recoil). A 20 ga. slug will work in North America too...

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would go with a 12ga suggestion. suggestions on shot gun would be a Remington M870 pump, or a Mossberg M500 pump. you could customize them to suit your needs and buy extra barrels to suit whatever need you have, such as several barrels to suit different needs with one shotgun and different ammo.

14. lagagewright

lagagewright New Member

I have a rem 870 express 12ga and so dose a buddy of mine we shoot skeet on Sunday's from time to time. He has never cleaned his it's covered in rust he keeps it in his tool box on his truck. I have never seen it jam or anything. And from my under standing the 12ga 870 is what most military and police use as well.

15. lagagewright

lagagewright New Member

Not trying to insult you but did you use bird shot. Last deer I shot with my 870 12ga was dead before it hit the ground. One shot one kill dint even move just fell. But I agree it was not over kill. No extremely large hole or anything. But for home defiance there is nothing better I would grab it before my Ar.

16. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

The reason why I said over kill. Is because out in the woods where the deer are you will be lucky to get a clear 75 yard or longer shot. My old 20 at 50 yards left an entry and exit wound, then imbedded into the tree behind it. he actully jumped and room about 10 strides then fell right in front of my stand. Dead within seconds. I hit his lungs and ruptured his heart. A perfect shot. The 12 just isn't needed unless you want 100+ yards. But like I said where in the wood will you get that shot?

17. Keginth28

Keginth28 New Member

Thanks guys but I want something I can use for all reasons imageable. So I'm diff getting a 12 g and I'm might get the police or military issue. Still looking for was brand I want.

18. lagagewright

lagagewright New Member

The rem 870 is what most military and police use. I know a lot of people in the Marin's and army and police officers some who are on swat and they all swear by the 870

19. lagagewright

lagagewright New Member

Just thank about this some of the people say a 12 ga is over kill. But I say there is no such thang as over kill when protecting your self your home and your family so 12ga all the way for me.