Shotgun for one hander?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Jsnakehouse, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

Hey guys,
    For those of you that read my thread when i first joined you know that i have just recently bought my first handgun. Also i can not use my right arm at all due to a stroke i had when i was three years old. so i really want to buy a shotgun now just to fill up my gun cabinet a little more! No thats not the only reason that i want one i will shot it and that is why i came here. i am wondering what type of shotgun would be good for someone who is a smaller (5'6) and only uses one hand? Just something light and short that i could hold up with one hand.

Thanks Guys!!

2. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Shotgun shopping is so Hard! There are so many options out there. I would eather get a mossberg 500 or a remington 870. Both are fantastic weapons and can be decked out with what ever you want on it. The mossberg has a .410 model which might be better for one handed due to the lighter recoil. As for stocks, a pistol grip would give you better control and support of the gun. A thumb-hole stock would be another good choice. If you go with a 12ga I would look into the recoil suppressing knoxx pistol grip/retractable stock. Can you move your other arm at all?

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The thing I find on mossberg 500s is its alittle bit heavier than the remington 870. For one handed use I would go with a thumb hole thru type stock which they do come with on certain models , and as stated above to be a little lighter I would be looking at a 20 ga or possibly a .410 of some sort

4. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

No i do not have any use of my right arm at all. and i was thinking .410 or 20 gauge at the biggest i dont need it to knock me over, my balance isnt bad but its not the best because my stroke affected my right leg just a little also. but thats not a big conern.

Thanks Guys i will take a look at those guns that you recomended!!

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

In wondering what kind of shooting you'll be doing. I think home defense in your situation would be better served by your pistol.

I'm thinking a coach gun might be pretty good for you, but I don't know how good it would do with something like shooting clays. A break action may be easier to work with only one working arm.

6. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

I dont really know what im going to be using it for, maybe home defense or maybe just shooting random things lol. I really dont have any particular reason to have one other than the fact that i want one!!

Also took a look at the two models recomended and i like both of them.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Those H&R single shot guns would be pretty good,they have a big break barrel button that pops open and ejects the spent shell easily in one step.

8. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

working a pump 1 handed?gonna be tricky and take time

9. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Not if you fire then use the same hand to rack it while the stock is on your hip or thigh.

10. Werminator

Werminator Member

What about a more compact double barrel? You know... follow up shot for HD without the inconvenience of working a pump with one hand? I have seen a couple 18.5" barreled doubles with composite stocks that seemed to be quite light and compact... I would think something like that would be more the way to go given your situation and limitations...

11. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

all of these ideas sound really good!! I will have to look at each one and figure out what i think will be best for me. Except that i have been dealing with using one hand for 20 years now and i have found ways to do everything that i could ever want to do!, such as drive a car, play video games, tie my shoes and much more. I dont think that a pump shotgun would be any problem for me to figure out, because all i know is how to learn things with is one hand.

Thanks guys! Big Help!!

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

jsnakehouse Take a look at the mossberg SA-20 line. Semi-auto for softer shooting and weight runs from 5.6 to 6lb. 13" LOP so it would fit a smaller guy better than a full size and there ain't much that a 20ga can't handel. That would be about like most mid sized .22lr for weight. Should be able to handle this One handed and still go turkey hunting useing adjustable shooting stick for control.

13. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

hardluk1, that is a good idea, a semi auto. I took a look at the gun you recomended and i like that one also!! man this is going to be a tough decision with all these shotguns people are suggesting! might have to buy two or three to make it less hard of a decision!!

thanks!!

14. FAS1

FAS1 Member

I have a Beretta 1201FP that came stock with a Choate stock like this one.
    [​IMG]
    I think it could belp you stabilize the gun under your armpit and could be fired that way if needed without shouldering. I always thought of using it if I had a flashlight or cell phone in my off hand and needed to hold someone at bay such as a burglar in my home at night.

15. Jsnakehouse

Jsnakehouse New Member

thats another one that looks good to me FAS1!! thanks for the recomendation, will have to check that one out a bit more also!!

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Read everthing & thought-
    All I can come up with is a simi auto mabe shortened up & balanced to suit you :confused:
    Had a LEO friend some time back with the same situation ( he was shot in the right shoulder by a perp with a - yes, shotgun) That what he came up with- Remmie 1100 i think-

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

This thing right here is real easy to shoot one handed......

Attached Files:

18. Wilder

Wilder New Member

A coach gun with an 18in barrel would be easy to work with one hand. With a good single point tactical sling tightened enough to help steady the gun, and hold it at your chest so you can break open the action and unload/load.
    The pic is stoeger's double defense, cause posts with pictures of guns are always better...

Attached Files:

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Hey,just an offbeat question,but do you own a switchblade since I think you would qualify to own one?

20. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

In most states you can own one in your house but cant take it anywhere.. Dont get caught carryin it!