shotgun for hiking and camping?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by old fart, Jul 17, 2012.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

well things have a way of changing, and in my case they change alot. i love to hike and camp on private property near my home here in kentucky. i thought i would have a handgun to take with me, i had bought a stoeger cougar 9mm. but some things came up i had to sell the gun, now it will be next year before i will have a chance to have enough for another handgun. i do however have h&r pardner pump protector with 18.5 inch barrel, it weighs however 7lbs. would the shotgun be a good choice fo hiking and camping? at one time i thought i might have to use it for this purpose but i was able to get the handgun now i'm back to the shotgun. what do ya'll think about carrying a shotgun for camping and hiking? also i put the regular stock back on it, which gives me better accuracy. thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Use what you have. Anything is better than nothing.

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

As long as it doesn't get to heavy for an old fart to carry around. :)

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Sounds good to me man. Imo i would carry something in 357mag in a revolver. But the shotgun will do fine

5. old fart

old fart New Member

would love a revolver but things came up and there's no chance for a handgun this year. mabe next year i hope to get one. thanks

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Your shotgun will be fine. Especially if you put a sling on it for hiking.

8. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

i'd say for camping, the 12g is fine but a little cumbersome for hiking. for that i would carry a holstered handgun.
    in kentucky, the most you should encounter (wild animal) would be a black bear. 357 should be adequate. if hiking out west, i would sugest 44 mag.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Jsut hiking w/a longarm might look a little odd. Still, love "old faithful." Do get a can of bearspray and a decent knife instead and leave the gun accessible in camp.

Attached Files:

10. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

[​IMG]
    Before anyone has a stroke, the barrel is 18-1/8" long. It slips nicely into a day pack, or carries nicely in the ski loops on the side of my pack when assembled. It handles buckshot and slugs real nice. It is a $20 yard sale shottie that I took over to the gunsmith and had him circumcise it. Total cost is less than $50 including the second hand pad. In these pics, it is just shot with gray primer.
    [​IMG]
    I created it specifically for backpacking the high trails in the Sangre de Cristos, where there really are bears that really do come in and tear the crap out of your camp. Sometimes the camper wins.

11. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

not if you pack it in a backpack

even a holstered sidearm wouldn't look as bad as totin a shotgun

if i saw it............i would think............smart hikers

12. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

I always carry a shotgun as a camp gun unless the sight of it would cause unnecessary panic (e.g. a campground with other families). I also carry a .44 mag revolver as a backup if I'm doing something that makes having a shotgun really inconvenient...like fishing. I live in big game country (Alaska) and the danger comes from bears and moose. I've had coyotes come into camp too. The smallest predator that I need to consider would be something like a wolverine or badger. We don't have snakes up here. We have quite a few carnivorous mammals to consider so I prefer to carry large caliber weapons. I know a couple of experienced outdoors men who carry .41 mag revolvers in the bush too. I haven't met anyone around here carrying a 9mm in the bush.

If you get a comfortable sling and configure your shotgun to be as compact and light as possible, it's not too uncomfortable, IMO. Besides, the weight helps reduce the felt recoil.

I'm talking about a shotgun as a camp gun. Not long range backpacking.

BTW, What do you anticipate meeting on the trail that you'd need a 9mm for?
    That's seems like a pretty small, under-powered round for wild animals, IMO. 9mm is an antipersonnel caliber though I suppose you could kill a badger, wolverine, or beaver with it.

FWIW, I've never hiked the Kentucky bush so I am only guessing since I don't know your real needs out there.
    Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  13. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

I suppose that depends on where you live/hike. Up here, no one looks twice at a hiker with a shotgun (or any other gun for that matter).

I once walked into a convenience store here with a .44 mag revolver in open carry in a hip holster and the lady behind the counter asked me where I was fishing (because we commonly carry large caliber handguns for bear protection while fishing). I suppose some places people might think it's odd to see a gun. I think that's sad. It's just more evidence to me that our modern society has lost sight of the value of our Constitution and what American heritage is. This country has ALWAYS had firearms as part of it's culture. Personal firearm ownership is part of American heritage. I'm proud that our country still allows it.

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I won't contradict you as, yes, it depends on where one hikes and camps (hence my word "might") and you've done a good job of doing it yourself. Kentucky ain't Alaska like the Appalachian ain't the Resurrection Pass Trail.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  15. old fart

old fart New Member

would a soft case with shoulder strap be as good or better than a scabbard? thanks

16. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

I don't quite follow what you said here.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't camp in campgrounds, so I don't have to worry about upsetting other families. (If someone camps near me, they're usually carryng also.:p

For hiking the back country, I like to carry my Benelli M-2 on a sling.