Shotgun decision and load options.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by UrbanNinja, Apr 16, 2012.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

So one of the things missing from my collection is a shotgun. I have no real use for one. I do not hunt and I don't really need one for home defense, as I feel more comfortable using one of my pistols for maneuverability and higher ammo capacity.

I am looking for a simple shotgun just to have some fun at the range with. Recently I came across a Pardner pump 12ga with interchangeable 18" and 28"(?) Barrels. I could be wrong about the 28" length but that is besides the point. I figure with the short barrel, I could use that at the indoor range and the longer if I decide to go skeet shooting at an outdoor range.

Any other suggestions on an inexpensive shotgun for simple target fun? Doesn't necessarily need to be 12ga. Also.. what type of shot load should be used for range (30 yard indoor range) usage.

2. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I'm not 100% sure it fits your needs since I'm just getting into shotguns as well, but I would suggest a Mossberg 500. As for shot load, just look for target loads at Walmart.

EDIT: Perhaps this one?

Mossberg 500 Combo 12ga 28/18 @ Bud's

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

If you are wanting a cheap but reliable gun id go with the pardener they are good guns for the money

4. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I have a mossberg 500 combo (12ga), you can get em on sale for under $300, especially if you have big5 where youre at. Alternatively, for little over $100, you can get a single barrel break action, i would recommend that

5. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

How bout a Beretta

Here's mine... it's an all around shotgun.

[​IMG]

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thanks guys. I also recently came across one of these shotguns at Cabelas for $225 brand new: TriStar Cobra Tactical 12ga.

Anyone familiar with this brand? http://www.tristararms.com/index.php

7. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I'd also highly recommend taking a look at the Mossberg Maverick 88. That to, is a good, dependable gun that should run in the $150-250 range.

8. Model70

Model70 Member

I'm gonna honk the good ol Remington 870. I got mine for $289.

They make a tactical model if that's your bag, but for just screwing around shooting clays just a basic stock 870 would be fine.

I'm more of a rifle shooter/big game hunter, but just shooting clay pigeons all day with your buds is as fun a time as I've ever had. And any trigger time you can get helps IMHO.