Shotgun Broke in Half While Busting Clays

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 007BondJamesBond007, Oct 4, 2010.

1. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

My wife single shot Ithaca M66 12 Gage 3" Full Choke broke in half at the receiver. We were using Wally World Federal bulk 2 3/4 #8 shot when she noticed the gun open and ejected the shell without here releasing the lever. Second shot it did the same. The the barrel fell off. I never scene this happen before with a single shot I was magnum rated gun so low powered loads should not have been an issue. She ended up finishing with my friend Browning auto. We are now looking for a Browning auto for her. I told her we need to get two one for me.
    '

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Wow! Any sign of fatigue in the metal? How about some close up shots of the actual break.

3. 007BondJamesBond007

Looked like there is coating in the crack.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Sorry, your picture isn't very clear. If there is something in the crack that indicates the metal was failing for a little while and finally let go. It could be oil or solvents from cleaning.

5. 007BondJamesBond007

The top corner that is light is cerakote the rest of the break is the dark metal.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Best I can see it appears to have some of the coating in the crack. So they "painted" a broke weapon. Wow!:eek:

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Wow, i hope that isn't the case. :eek:

Nice looking shotty; my dad has had a 12 guage Ithica with that lever release for most of my life. I always found the lever release thing odd. His isn't that pretty.

8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

These were entry level guns. Anytime something is inexpensive then quality is iffy. The recievers are a "mystery metal" casting. I have seen others of this model break in half.

9. 007BondJamesBond007

My wife is looking to buy a FRANCHI I-12
    [​IMG] to replace it. What you guys think? Should I let her have it. It is a lot better gun then I have so if I come home with new shotgun she shouldn't complain. She started looking at cheaper guns but but didn't like the poly stocks and wanted something that she will treasure.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Looks like abuse through slamming it closed too hard to me. Look at the bent part under the break action. Maybe a combo of slam open and slam shut...

11. 007BondJamesBond007

I got the gun used and never fired it till I had it refinished. There is coating in the crack. I think the bend started when the cracked widen.

12. 007BondJamesBond007

Replaced With Franchi I 12 Diamond

I replace the wife's shotgun.
    THE FRANCHI I-12 Limited auto-loader shotgun represents the pinnacle of the gunmaker’s art. Reliable and distinctive, the Franchi I-12 Limited incorporates all of the good looks, lightweight characteristics, and fast-handling features that Franchi shotguns are known for, along with the absolute reliability of the Inertia® Driven operating system.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]