shotgun barrels

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bowhunter17, Jun 22, 2013.

1. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

For a single shot break action shotgun (12 ga) like the H&R ultra slug hunter, can I just buy a smoothbore barrel for it and switch between the smooth and rifle barrels quickly?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A RIFLE can be fitted with a shotgun barrel.

Do NOT try to put a rifle barrel on a SHOTGUN.

Metal is different on a rifle. Made for higher pressures. Usually fitted by a gunsmith (bad headspace can hurt you and give bad memories to folks that get spattered by your body fluids).

3. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I had a Rossi that was a 12 gauge/ 30.06 rifle combo. Not very expensive quick to convert. The 30.06 kicked the absolute **** out of my shoulder. Not worth it in my opinion. I cut the shotgun barrel down a bit for a home defense gun at that time. Now I don't use it for anything.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

C3 it is not about a rifle.
    bowhunter17, I believe you have to have the extra barrel fitted or be lucky.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hiwall- my bad- trying to skim too many posts quickly.

And as Hiwall said, yes, but get it fitted to the gun.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

some of the H & R single shots had interchangeable barrels, but from what i have read in the past, they were fitted to the reciever. so from what i gather and have read, you can't just put another H & R barrel on it unless it's been fitted.

7. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

So if I got a rifled slug barrel and a smoothbore barrel fitted to the same receiver, would I be able to change between them quickly? Also, would a slug gun that is converted to a smoothbore be harder to use for shooting sporting clays because of the high cheek piece?

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Yes
    Maybe but it changes with each shooter.

9. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

How much does it usually cost to get a barrel fitted to a receiver?

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Buy another shotgun!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

have no idea. i'm not a gunsmith. but with as little as an H & R shotgun costs, it would probably be cheaper to just another one rather than have to buy the barrel and have a gunsmith fit it.

12. Archametes

Archametes New Member

Go to H&Rs website. They have a "barrel accessory program". You can send in your receiver, have a new barrel fitted and only pay for the new barrel and whatever it costs for you to ship the receiver. This IS dependent however on what model receiver you have. It's all explained on their website.

13. MajorMoeDown47

MajorMoeDown47 New Member

the pardner pump protector is fabilous HD shotgun. solid, sturdy , and built like a tank 18.5" barrel is a great size for personal protection.