shotgun barrel length?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by 94hunter88, Apr 1, 2013.

1. 94hunter88

94hunter88 New Member

Does anybody know if I saw off a shotgun how long does it have to be. I live in Missouri if there is a law for a certain state.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Federal law is 18 inch minimum barrel length on a shotgun. Pretty sure there is also a minimum total length, but I cannot quote it off hand.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

There are federal rules requiring a minimum barrel length of 18", but there is also an overall length requirement that I believe is 26".

Additional state rules may apply, but I am uncertain of them.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

when you cut it make it 18-1/2 or so just to be sure.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm pretty sure the home defense barrel I bought from Mossberg is 18.5" for that very reason.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Yes minimum overall length of 26 inches.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my winchester pump also has a 18.5" barrel.

i do think it's a minimum of 18" on the barrel and 26" OAL of the entire shotgun.

8. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

18" for the barrell, 26" OAL. This allows pistol grips for just about every shotgun. You will find short barrells for Remington and Mossberg pumps just about everywhere.

9. Axxe55

i measured mine from the grip to the end of the barrel and if it had a pistol grip instead, it comes to about 29". fully within the confines of the law.

10. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I bought the pistol grip for my Mossberg when I bought the 18 1'2" barrel. It's fun to shoot but it reminds your hand and wrist real quick that a stock is the intended way to hold a shotgun. But it fits neatly in the truck.

11. Axxe55

my 44 magnum doesn't punish my wrist as much as the pistol gripped shotgun i had years ago!:eek:

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, I opted for the full buttstock WITH a pistol grip, not quite thumbhole ugly but no beauty queen.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

When I first bought my 870 it came with a pistol grip and a 20 inch barrel. After one trip to the range, my ex-FIL's 4 inch model 29 felt like a .22 by comparison. I thought about picking up a thumbhole or PG butt stock, but in the end, I found that a set of youth model 12 gauge furniture worked best for me.

OP, the federal minimums are 18 inches for the barrel, and 26 inches overall. In the case of a side folder, the overall measurement is with the stock at fully extended. If you go for a cut down, measure twice, cut once, and set the length after it is cut at 18.5 to 19 inches. All it takes is a loose end on a mesuring tape to put someone away for a long time.

Note: I am NOT a lawyer. Consult with one who is familiar with local, state, and federal laws before peoceeding with your project, or talk with a compotent gunsmith.