Shot the Gunsite Scout

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Cheeseman, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Only put through about 10 rounds because of the wind and cold, but shoots nice and I hit what was aimed at.

Attached Files:

2. Partridge02

Partridge02 New Member

I'm more jealous of your range than I am of your gun. I wish I has someplace like that. Is it yours or a public range? Oh yea, nice gun too.

3. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Phelps Township Range, Northern Vilas County WI, and yea it is nice....

4. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Nice. Picking my new Scout up this week. It will be my first rifle, and mainly used at the range. For now. Have you decided on a scope or done any research yet? From what I could find it sounds like Leupold and Burris both make scout scopes. But I am completely clueless so am looking for any ideas I can get.

5. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

You might want to check out red dots too. I've had mine a while now, still no optic on it. I may end up putting a normal scope on it for the extra magnification.

6. ric-hubbard

ric-hubbard New Member

I have two more .308s on my wish list. One of these and an AR-10 of some description, maybe one of the new SR-762 rifles. I will be looking forward to more of your experiences with yours.

Shoot it in good health my friend.

7. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I need to read up on scopes and red dots. It sounds to me as if the red dots offer little or no magnification just a quick way to acquire the target, and perhaps aid somewhat in accuracy. While scopes will magnify and make pinpoint shooting at distance easier. I guess the question is first, what distances is the gun going to be used for mostly, and how quickly can a target be picked up with a scope. It also sounds like no matter how much I read or learn I am probably going to end buying a red dot, several scopes and probably 3 different kinds of sights!

8. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

Yeah, it's pretty hard to choose. For a while I was thinking about putting an aimpoint red dot on it, but now i'm thinking about stretching it out a bit with a 3-9x or 4-12x.

9. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Yeah, a red dot would probably work most of the time for what I will use it for, but it would be nice to have the optics on hand for longer shots if need be. I think the hunting camp my buddy belongs to has some areas where we can set some targets up at pretty good distances so a scope would be fun.

10. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Personally, I have been shying away from scopes as of late, expensive, they break, useless in snow, and in the bush I'm in in WI, not necessary.

11. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Lefty bolt.....I like it. :)

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

CC: look into Burris AR prism sights. They Mae a 3X(the 332 I think) and the 5X model 536. Range finding abilities, and a red/green Rectile, plus added rails,....I ordered the 5X for my Mini-14....should be here late next week.....

13. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I checked those out. They look nice, but wonder if they'd work on the scout. They only have 2.5" of eye relief. Makes me think they may not be great for a scout set up. And it sounds like they were really designed for the AR platform and 5.56. Now if i could find a scout scope with those features i would be excited.

14. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I'm guessing you would need an XS rail to use one.

Unfortunately there really aren't many options for scout optics. I have heard of people using pistol scopes, so you may want to check into that.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks just like mine!!! Your gun, your range, and your shooting bench!!!:eek:

I like my L/H SR but I am considering selling it. I am trying to narrow down my guns to the one I want to use in the next few years and I have more than I will want to shoot right now.:)
    I have a suggestion for you. I put some 2x2's around the edges of my bench so nothing 'rolls' of or falls off the edge. It works great.:)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  16. sandog

sandog Member

Besides the Weaver Scout scope (heavy), there is a Burris 2.75x, the new Burris 2-7x with BDC, Leupold 2.75x and the Leatherwood 2-7x, a very good optic for $130. Probably a few more too, out there that I'm not aware of.

17. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I have a Leupold LER scope on my M1A Scout.
    ALL that have shot it have loved the target presentation with that set up. Think it was around $300 to my door...

18. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

The Leopuld seems to be really well liked. I just brought my Scout hime today, and hope to get to the range this weekend. I am in no huge hurry to spend another $300 so I'll just use the iron sights for a while as I get used to the rifle.

19. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Yup....probably had 10 or so range trips before I ponied up for the scope. I fine tuned the iron sights at 100 yds and have the scope on a quick release mount.

20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I do not like the 'scout' scopes. Mine wears a 1 3/4x6 Leupold VX-III (the original short one)! You simply take the long rail off and put any scope you would like on the receiver.:)