Shot the Colts

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by NGIB, Apr 12, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Brought the pair of Colt Commanders to my local range this afternoon for a first smoke test. These guns are right at 30 years old so I was wondering how they'd shoot. I brought 5 different mags with me as that's how I like to check overall operation. The mags were a Tripp Cobra, a Wilson, a Kim-Pro, a Colt, and my oldest and most worn McCormick Shooting Star (a cheap mag). Ended up running 7 mags through each gun without so much as a single burp at all. Even the CMC with the well worn spring couldn't cause either gun to fail. I was shooting Georgia Arms bulk ammo.

Overall impression is that these are good shooting guns, I didn't have any JHP with me but I expect they'll digest it just fine. The tiny, no contrast GI sights are not very friendly to my old eyes. I was able to manage softball sized groups at 25 feet firing pretty rapidly - so they would get the job done in a defensive situation. I have target quality 1911s so it doesn't bother me these are more close range defensive guns at all. As I was checking out at the range, the assistant manager (who's a nice young fella) asked me what I was shooting today. I open the range bag and he immediately began to drool. He offered to buy both of them on the spot and I could have made a few bucks on the sale. It went against my wheel & deal nature - but I brought them home...:D

2. orangello

orangello New Member

So, how did they group when firing both together?

Nice self control! :D

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm nowhere near tacticool enough yet to dual wield - but I'll work on it...:rolleyes:

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

Looking at the pictures you showed the other day, I don't blame you for hanging on to them.

BTW, the Ga Arms ammo you were shooting, is that loaded a bit hot or is is standard loads? I've looked at their site a few times and considered ordering, but I haven't talked to anyone who has used it.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Their bulk FMJ is just a standard load but they also sell Gold Dot JHP and it's loaded a bit hotter. I've shot a ton of their ammo and it's great quality and generally priced pretty good. They are at every gun show in GA and when I go (not very often) I always visit their table and stock up...

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Who are you and what have you done with our beloved Dave? :confused::cool:

:p

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sounds good Dave. :cool:

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

BTW, here's how they looked this evening with the pretty rosewood grips put away and my shooting Pachmayr's installed. The Pach's ain't that pretty but I really like them for shooting...

Attached Files:

9. Car54

Car54 New Member

They still are a pretty picture......Thanks for the info on GA arms. I hear they make a lot of Florida shows too, I'll have to hit one close by and pick some ammo up.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

So, other than the serial #'s, can YOU tell them apart?

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The top gun has more wear on the slide, other than that they're identical...

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Watch "Last Man Standing" before you go to the range. It will help!! :D

I wish I didn't feel so jealous!!:p

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I am going to have to buy a duplicate 1911 just to make myself feel better now.

BTW, I would have to buy a dual shoulder holster for them. It would be a requirement! :D