Shot my first 357 today

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Boyerracing343, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Well today I got to shoot my first 357magnum today. It was a smith and wesson. I forgot what model it was but I have a photo of it on my phone. I'll try to upload it but I must say it was a freaking blast. I loved it. Looks like I'll be stashing some money away to purchase one of my own.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Welcome to the club.

Attached Files:

3. orangello

orangello New Member

What kind of ammo did you shoot? That is what amazes me about the .357/.38 revolvers, the variety of projectile weights & designs, then .357mag, .38special, and .38special +P.

My GP100 is one of my favorite shooters for targets.

4. Boyerracing343

It was nickle cases smith and wesson ammo that was soft points. Ill have to check what grain they were when I get home.

I can't wait to buy my own 357. Any recommendations?

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I've been happy with my $400 Ruger GP100. I have seen it said that the S&W's have better triggers, but the Ruger has been fine for me. I picked the 6" barrel for target use.

6. utf59

utf59 New Member

Smiths and Rugers are both fine choices. I have a Smith, and I have shot a number of Rugers, as well as other Smiths. If you get a chance, try a Colt Python. They are pricey, since Colt no longer makes double-action revolvers, but they are very sweet shooters.

Pick up different models in different frame sizes. If you like the bigger frames, Smith & Wesson makes a couple of 8-shot models. And, of course, check out the various barrel lengths. The longer barrels are more accurate, but not ideal if you plan to carry the revolver.

Happy shopping!

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While there are MANY good .357s, the S&W Mdl 66 is one of my favorites. However, one that is, IMHO, underappreciated and underpriced is the Dan Wesson Mdl 15. Extremely accurate, great triggers, built like a tank.

8. Boyerracing343

Thanks for the advice guys!

9. Kain

Kain Member

I'll throw in a vote for the GP-100. Granted it's the only revolver I've ever fired, I very much like it. The trigger is a bit long in DA, but other than that it's a beautiful firearm. I find that I have to have a "large handled" pistol for any comfort while firing.

10. OC357

OC357 New Member

[​IMG]

Try a Python. You might like it.

OC

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have a Ruger SP101 with Hogue grips. I'd recommend it.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

I would suggest a S&W 586 or a 686 with a 6" barrel. A lot of fun and will last longer than the owner if taken care of.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the world of magnum handguns. I'll warn you, they're addictive.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel. I really like it but I don't have much experience with any other .357 revolvers.

15. Wambli

Wambli Member

Of all the .357 mags I own and have owned my two top ones are pictured below. A pre-lock Model 686 and a Colt Python.
    [​IMG]

The Python is like a Ferrari, built by hand, locks up like a bank vault and just absolutely gorgeous. BUT their internals tend to be a little fragile if a steady range diet of hot .357 mag loads will be used and you intend to shoot the snot out of your gun then their current level of collectibility and pricing (well over a $1,000 for an example in good shape) make it a dicey proposition as a range/carry gun.

The original 686 is also now aquiring a semi-cult status and I've seen some pricing out there that made my toes curl but you can still find them at a reasonable price and they are a much hardier gun than the Python. The bigger L frame is a nice compromise in durability and comfortable carry and the stainless finish is hardy and very attractive.

Now if you are lkooking for a gun to just shoot into oblivion a Ruger can't be beat. High quality gun that will last a few generations while shooting anything you'd care to touch off out of them. They are built like a hammer for hard work.

16. Boyerracing343

Those are some beautiful guns. Thank you for your input. Ill have to do some research and get some ideas on what I am going to go with. :D

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Welcome to the party! There's just something about a fine .357 that appeals to me.

S&W Model 66 No Dash

[​IMG]

Colt Python

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S&W Model 27-2

[​IMG]

18. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]
    Only pic i have of my full underlug GP100, with the ugly comfy grips.

19. powg

powg New Member

I have owned 2 a mod 19 and a mod 586 ....and like a dumbass i sold em both . My next will a 19 with the 2.5 barrell ..and to those that put your pics of the pythons on ....I truly hate yall with every fiber of my being.:mad: Not being crude ,I have shot several pythons and a diamondback and it was almost an orgasmic experiance .:D

20. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

This is one of my favorites. My 2 1/2" custom carry 66.

Jim.....

Attached Files: