shot my first 1911 yesterday

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ItsmeShane, Jan 25, 2010.

1. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

My brother and I were going in half and half on a Kimber Customs II and we went and shot it yesterday. To be honest, I didn't care for it as much as I thought I would. The handle on that thing is way to bulky. Nice gun nonetheless but uncomfortable for me to shoot. I think I will let my brother get that one and keep looking for something else that fits me better.

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Give it another try. It took me 2 rounds with my Kimber and I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

1911's aren't for everyone, however I'd try several other guns then try the Kimber again. I ended up buying a CZ75B and I wouldn't give it up for any 1911.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I find that amazing as a single-stack 1911 has one of the slimmest grips around. Word of advice, if you find the "handle" of a 1911 to bulky - don't ever bother with a Glock 21...

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Good point by NGIB there. Also, changing the grips out to a slim panel makes a world of difference. You could find an inexpensive pair on the web just to try them out....but you have to change out the grip bushings as well.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have NEVER seen a "handle" on a 1911??

You sure you weren't shooting a nail gun?

7. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

the grip whatever it is called where you hold on to the gun, I really dont know the technical term for it. the wooden pieces on the side are every bit a 1/2" thick. I just didnt care for shooting it myself. its a really nice gun though.

The fellows house where we were shooting at, He collects 1911's and he had an old colt army issue and it felt real nice in my hand. it was a lot slimmer than the Kimber was.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Try to get a picture of this one as 1/2 inch thick grips must be home made. I've never seen any grips over 1/4 inch and most are thinner than that...

9. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

here you go. 1/2" was just an estimate. but I do think those grips are huge. my friend that sold it to my brother actually thought the same thing so its not just me. im glad my brother likes it so much, he can pay for it and ill keep my half of the money and find something else.

Attached Files:

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Look about 1/4" to me, but you can get smaller ones. 1911's have the best ergo's and fit just about anyone's hands well.

11. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

I dont have really big hands even for a big man, im just going to let my brother get that one. I did hold an old army issue Colt 1911 that felt awesome in my hand. and then another one not sure what it was, just know it was converted to .22lr. it also felt comfortable, but that kimber just felt huge. I can compare it to me holding a sundrop bottle. thats what it felt like to me.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

well you went wrong by not sticking to the 1911-A1. the kimber is just a gun patterneed ont he 1911. springfield has a 1911-A1 model which i have one and its parts intechange and work just fine with my ithaca 1911-A1 from 1944. they feel nothing like the kimber.

oh and im not a kimber fan either i find them to be lesser 1911's. i do have one of thier conversions to fire 22LR out of my 1911's it works ok but every kimber i have fired has not rated up there in my book so your not the only one that doesnt care for em.

13. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

well if the old colt was for sale id consider buying it. but he is a collector and 1911's are religious to him so he most likely wont part with it.

14. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Wow... This doesn't surprise me at all. You're young, and don't know quality yet. After all of your comments about Benelli, and now Kimber...WTF? :confused:

15. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I own a Kimber Pro Carry II and it feels great in my hand. I also own a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Government model and it feels a little better in my hand. I have hands that are more on the small side of medium sized hands and I absolutely love how my XD feels. I ended up putting on some adhesive sandpaper grips on it to keep it more stable ini my hands when shooting.

16. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

well my friend has a stoeger p-350 and at bass pro shop it looks just like the benelli sitting right beside it and I also hated how it felt. everyone has their opinions and I dont care for benellis or their other companies nor did i care for kimber. theres nothing wrong with that. you like what you like and I like what I like.

17. INMIline

INMIline New Member

Go to a gun store and hold all the 1911's one at a time. Get a feel for them. I personally own three Colt 1911's and I too have never fired a 1911. Funny huh? They are just too pretty. I need to pick up a Rock Island oneday just to shoot a bunch through!

18. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

one step ahead of you. there is a taurus and a S&W at bass pro and both of them feel much better than that kimber.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

It's just the grips on the gun, not the gun itself. :rolleyes:

20. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

They probably like the countoured backstrap of the A1 better than the straight back of the Kimber. To each his own.