Shot gun for 16 year old son

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Airborne_Ranger, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Airborne_Ranger

Airborne_Ranger New Member

My son Alex who is 16 has a remmington 870 shotgun. He is out growing it, what would be a nice semi auto shotgun under $600? I was thinking of givin him my Browning A5 but it's a classic... We do alot of bird hunting.

2. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Benelli has a killer semi for around 700

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Sorry scratch that I guess my vinci was more than 700 I had to look at the check register to make sure yep it was over 1100$ sorry bout that

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

How do you outgrow an 870? If it's a youth model, just buy a full sized butt stock for it. Check the big stores they have a lot of deals for the holidays. It depends on your definition of "nice". In the $600 range you are looking at Mossbergs and Stoegers. They are nice...but not Browning, Benelli, Remington, Winchester nice.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are several USED Remington 1100s listed over at auctionarms.com. They are $400 or less. You WILL have to consider cost of shipping, condition of gun, track record of seller, and what you will need to pay a local FFL to receive the gun and do paperwork for it. Take a look HERE: Auction Arms - All Firearms

6. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

How do you outgrow an 870? Anyway, I'd suggest you look at a used remington 1100 like what was suggested above. You won't find much new in that price. Maybe a Mossberg 930

7. Airborne_Ranger

It's a youth model.. Im 34 and just got out of the military, I want to do something nice for my son. He's been strong all these years of me being gone and I just want to say thanks.. I'll do what ever it takes to get him what he is asking for. I'll spend $1200 max I guess. I just bought us a new house an all new cars, put $12000 in his collage funds and gave some to my mom and dad. I dont have to much money to blow rite now. Thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it:)

8. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Kid wants a semi, natural enough. My boss just got his oldest an SBEII last year at 14. Two 3-1/2" loads and he don't want no more of those for now. Got his 2nd son Winchester SX-3 this year, and now the older one want one of those instead. I have shot them both and neither one trips my trigger. I like the Remington 1100/11-87s, but I do not need a 3-1/2" gun.

9. Airborne_Ranger

Hmm... I have to say the benelli M2 field looks nice.

10. Atlas8403

Atlas8403 New Member

I am a big fan of Franchi... Made by Benelli but not quite as expensive.

11. Atlas8403

Atlas8403 New Member

Specificly the Franchi I-12.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

13. GolfGuns

GolfGuns New Member

If he has liked his 870, my suggestion would be for a nice, older 1100 with a skeet barrel or a special field. I have Beretta and Franchi semis that are great but I still love my heavy frame 20 ga 870 with a skeet barrel the best. The great thing about the Remmys is the available of extra barrels out there. It seems I always end up with a short and long barrel for most of my shotguns.

14. Airborne_Ranger

I got him this

Attached Files:

15. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Your a great dad. I'm sure he's/will be thrilled.

16. Airborne_Ranger

Thanks bud. Now something for my wife. I need a pink GLOCK 23 .40c haha

17. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

No such shotgun exist. New that is.lol Good choice for him, wish you were my dad!

18. Airborne_Ranger

Thanks man!