Firearms Talk banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
That 158 @ anything like 1600 FPS from a 3" barrel would sure be something. I'm sure my wrist would be sore for a while. I tested Federal 357 158 in a S&W with 3" barrel. Averaged 1130 FPS with plenty of blast, flash and recoil. Do you have access to a chronograph?

Discussion starter · #22 ·
the published spec for this ammo is out of the "reference revolver" which most take to be 8 inch.

So the published specs are never really achieved by most but I think its still a useful measure for comparison between loads.

I apologize for not making that clear .. and on rereading my original post I perhaps did not clarify it.
My expectation is indeed that this ammo "should " run between 1150-1200 out of a 3 inch based on published tables of velocity loss.

PS: And this was just me playing around for a couple cylinders. The recoil was stout enough that this 240 bs weightlifter found it impractical even painful. I did just buy 500 rds 38 SPC in +P... that should do real nicely.

yes, barrel length can affect velocity of the round. if reloading, they usually list the barrel length they used when getting their averages of listed velocities of the rounds. a person needs to adjust those accordingly for their own firearms.

most factory specs will list what barrel length was used for their averages as well. again, a person needs to adjust accordingly if their barrel length is different.

Reactions: Bigcat
Here is another "hot one" Underwood Ammo. I did a copy cut paste below.

If for some reason Underwood Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, we stand by our product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase.
This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information:
  • Caliber: Magnum
  • Bullet Weight:158 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point
  • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity:1500 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 789 ft. lbs.

Groo here
The only reason you get "sting" from an "L" frame S&W or a GP100 is the grips DON"T
fit you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In mid frame STEEL guns, the 357 is quite shootable.
I can shoot a hunting load from my M-60 Pro 3in without "sting"
But with grips that fit.
I will not shoot magnums with the factory ones.[OUCH]

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.