Shot a raccoon didn't die!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jayguy, May 18, 2011.

1. jayguy

jayguy New Member

I shot a raccoon today.Now I shot it with a 20ga. shotgun with a full choke with buck shot in the back of the head/neck at 5 ft. and it didn't die! I had to take a nother shot at it in the head before it died. Does this normally happen or was this thing abnormal?

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

One question.....was he wearing Kevlar?

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

I Shot an Arrow in to the air.........

WTF. I think you need counciling.......:eek:

4. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

hahahaa:D Thanks for the laugh

5. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

No this was him. This guy come from a long line of warrior coon's hard to kill

Attached Files:

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

at 5' I think a good BB gun would kill a racoon with a headshot. :eek: What you got loaded in that thing, confetti? :p

Maybe you should step up to an AR458 ;)

7. orangello

orangello New Member

You shot Cartman? :p

[​IMG]

8. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

maybe you should of just used a hand grenade

9. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

I remember coon hunting with .22's. Knocking one out of the tree, it was shot in the head. We started skinning it and it started growling at us. I was holding the front legs and my dad was pulling the hide, the harder we pulled the louder it growled. We dropped it and put four or five more rounds in the head and waited about 2 minutes before either of us would touch it again. It's an eery feeling to have an animal half skinned and then have it growl at you. They can be tough SOB's.

10. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

its very possile the rounds missed all vitals just leaving superfisial wounds.

11. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

Ill bet money you and your father had to do a underwear check after that.

12. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

My bet would go with no vitals hit with your first shot. At 5' the shot hasn't even begun to spread so you may very well have missed its brain and spinal column with that first shot.

13. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

^^^^ Despite the movies, even 00 buck doesn't spread into a chest size pattern at 5 feet. Likely you missed completely and the concussion dazed it.

14. jayguy

jayguy New Member

I didn't miss! There was plenty of blood and you could see where it blasted it in the neck/head.

15. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

That may be true :) I also remember having goose bumps and the hair stand up on the back of my neck for a while. And after we shot the next one we waited a while, let the dogs play with it for a bit before we even thought about touching it :)

16. GunGal

GunGal New Member

Dogs working for their keep....

That stew meat was tenderized for ya!

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Attached Files:

18. orangello

orangello New Member

IME, an aluminum bat will get one in one WHACK, but an insuranc whack will settle the nerves. Keep your attic access in good condition.

19. SoL

SoL New Member

ah yes, we know of this all too well thanks to our resident pest the Brushtailed possum.

These little bastards are in many cases damned near invincible and basically the ultimate in habitat rape.

I've put a possum under the wheels of our car at 120kph (74mph) only to turn around and see him get up and run away into trees.

I hit one once with a 12 gauge slug from behind at about 20 metres, splitting it's hide from tail to neck and making a channel wound between the base of it's spine and it's shoulder passing through the whole chest cavity, to have it continue running as if it hadn't noticed and was only stopped by #4 shot to the head area a good 10 seconds after.

Had the growling while plucking fur too, even though he had about 4 .22LRs in his head.

But I think the worst was a possum that we shot out of the tree down the back of the property. It got hit in the head with a .22 and hung suspended from the branch by its tail in an inverted position. While hanging I put another 2 rounds through the top of it's skull, it then fell down out of sight.
    However the next day we found it wandering very disoriented around out on the street with flies festering in it's head wounds, we shotgunned it. That was a total nightmare, made me wary of shooting possums for quite a while and really taught me that regardless how clean you think the shot was you really ought to locate and physically confirm that the animal is dead.

Nastiness. I generally get them with #2 or buckshot now to be sure.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/221/ycvpw.mp4/

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Good lord! What kind of animals are you growing down there? :eek: