Shot a rabbit at 230 yrds

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 7point62, Apr 8, 2011.

1. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

with my .204 yesterday afternoon, flipped him right over. This was down a long lane between orange trees in a grove and I had the rifle on a shooting stick. One of my dogs made off with the carcass before I could get there and by the time I got the bunny he was pretty tore up.

I know 230 yards is just a pistol shot out west, but trees tend to get in the way here.

I love this round, there was no drop. Instant lights out for Bugs.

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Nice shot. A bunny at that range is pretty small. I'd like to know what the round does to a critter of that size. Could you tell from what was left after you got it from the dog?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's a great shot to be honest. 230 yards on a rabbit is easily half of what is needed for your basic hunting stick. I would consider that to be a great shot in my book.

Well done.

JD

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

This is in the hunting section? Seriously, yes a nice shot. The .204 Ruger round is a flat shooting round and performs well with many a game or varmit.

I do have an issue with the target. Rabbits are not varmits or vermin. They are quality game and good eating. Why in the heck would you have a dog with you when hunting rabbits with a .204 Ruger? Is the dog gonna run it out to 250 yards and then point at it?

This is not hunting in the sense of hunting. This is killing a quality animal just because you said you did.

What are the dates for rabbit season in your state?

5. 7point62

I guess the thread title deserved a confrontational response from somebody.
    The dog doesn't hunt. He was supposed to stay in the house and was let out by mistake.
    I don't kill anything I don't eat.
    I don't kill for the sake of killing.
    I'm shooting on my own property.
    There is no season for rabbits in Florida. They may be taken year round.
    I'm commending the .204 round. In the Marines I qualified at 500 yards with iron sights, so a scoped shot at 230 at a fairly hefty rabbit is not magic. Still, I expected not to hit the target and was surprised when I did, hence the post. I'm giving up the love to the rifle and the flat trajectory of the cartridge. If you want the mods to move the thread to another section or delete it entirely, makes no difference to me.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Cool beans, OP! I'm just tuning my hunting rifles now,

I can't wait till I can make a post like this.

DNK why this shouldn't be in a hunting forum?:confused:

So you used iron sights over 200 yards?

(BTW, IMO, 230yds is a respectable rifle distance in most people's books.)

Were you using a reloaded round, or box ammo?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice shooting! I wish i could get that steady; i think that's why i'm primarily interested in pistols and such shorter range weapons.

Sounds like a varmint, kinda like a possum, fish&gamedepartment-wise at least.

Tough time to be a fat bunny. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gutterratt

gutterratt New Member

I ate my share of rabbits growing up, I could sure go for a good old fashioned rabbit stew or a dove pot pie about now,,,

9. 7point62

I was shooting from sitting position on a folding camp stool with the stick firmly in the ground and the rifle's foreend in the Y, and it's a pretty steady set up, I've taken pigs and other critters this way. I could never have made the shot from offhand.

Boxed ammo. Hornady VMAX, 32gr 4225 fps, +0.6" 100 yrds/0.0" 200 yrds.

10. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

I love when people make quotes trying to make someone out to be a bad guy. Next time skullcrusher, do a little research before you go accusing somebody of doing something illegal. As far as rabbits not being vermin...I guess you've never grown a garden...? And if you want to get scientific, they are a burrowing mammal, like a fox, coyote, gopher and other varmits.

By the way, my only complaint of the .204 is it's knockdown power out to 200+ yards, but for rabbit it would be perfect.

11. cuate

cuate New Member

Very nice ahooting ! "You're a better shot than I am, Gunga Din" !

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Still not for the hunting section. I never accused anyone of illegal activity, I merely asked what the rabbit season dates were where the poster lived. He answered and I learned something. Still, just by asking, it made some anti-hunting-gun-grabbing lurker know that this forum is not only about legal firearm practices; this forum also encourages legal hunting practices no matter the method. There was a poster talking about a guy in PA shooting a doe (whitetail) with a muzzleloader at 350 yards. The azzhat apparently was shooting at a buck but hit the doe. He thought he missed so he did not track. DNR found the doe and the "hunter" and the guy did not have a doe tag. The point is that there is a ton of crap being thrown out there all the time and bad hunting and bad gun owning go hand-in-hand to the left.

Keep in mind that ethics are ethics. Responsibility is responsibilty. Hunting is hunting.

13. 7point62

I have no problem with the questions. My original post was pretty vague on particulars. Again, if the mods want to move this to a more appropriate section or delete it entirely, I don't have a problem with it.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm sorry, I'm still unclear as to what parameter you use to gauge this
    particular shoot "not hunting" ?

15. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The part of not harvesting a good eating animal for food. Varmit hunting is a different deal, but advertising the killing of a game animal and not using it for at least food is not hunting. That is exactly what the lefties want to hear. YMMV.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I don't understand the fear on this forum. It seems that posting anything can cause some one gas pains. The left wing has put the fear of god in some of the gun owners. They think the phones are tapped and they monitor all the forms. It is a shame that so many fear the left wingers. The left will attack you and take no prisoners regardless of much you coward before them.

As for the little .204 it can take prairie dogs out to 300 yds. no problem. But then with the little dogs you will need a good scope.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  17. orangello

orangello New Member

That can be annoying to me as well, but it usually appears to be based in good intentions at least.

At some times of year, in some areas, a rabbit would usually be considered game/food, but during warmer parts of the year, especially in the more tropical areas, a very similar rabbit would be a varmint/pest good only for destroying crops & carrying insects/disease (inside & out). It is all relative to the reader's personal experiences.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  18. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

So by this definition, could a vegetarian ever be considered a hunter???

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sorry there, skullcrusher, at what point in the OP did 7point62 state he hadn't
    intended to eat the animal? Even though he mentioned his dog got it first,
    he didn't say eating it wasn't his original intention.

Not that it really matters, are you saying trophy hunters aren't really
    hunting?

20. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

Elmer_Fudd-rabbit-season.jpg

i think i see a wabbit. i did! i did!

Man no disrespect but is there such thing as a wabbit season? the only time Montana has seen a wabbit season is on looney tunes with the good ol Elmer Fudd.

and i wouldn't consider a wabbit a game animal. a game animal is a elk or deer not quite a wabbit.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011