Shortening a Barrel

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by HKSlinger, Oct 17, 2010.

1. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Hey folks. I was wondering,would it be legal for me to cut a shotgun barrel down to 18 1/2 in. myself,for HD? Or,would it be considered an illegally altered weapon? Thought I'd ask before breaking out the old hacksaw and cold blue. :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Keep it over 18" and you are fine. Shotgun barrel length is measured from the bolt face (when in battery) to the end of the muzzle.

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself (legally), but the quality of product will suffer if you make a bad cut.

If you already made up your mind that you are gonna do it with a hacksaw, make up a jig consisting of a couple 2x4s with the centers cut out in a triangular shape with the outside corners measuring the same as the diameter of the barrel. Clamp them on top of the barrel with your saw in the center of cut line as it sets on the table.

I let a gunsmith do my first one, but he was kind enough to let me watch. Although he had equipment that I don't at home, I could adjust for it.

Also, instead of cold blue, consider polishing the muzzle up real nice. Looks great! :)

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Inquiring minds want to know......

What kind of shotgun are you wanting to cut down?

5. Jay

Jay New Member

if you use a dowel to measure, be sure the firing pin is not protruding ...and the overall length must be in excess of 26 inches.......

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How or what are you doing for choke?

7. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Thanks for all the help. 1st,the hacksaw and blue were a joke. I'm thinking band saw. Its an old Remington 1100. And,I guess it will be a full choke. I could always put a poly on if I felt that strongly about it,however,it'll have slugs or buckshot in it. I'm just setting it up for a "bump in the night" gun.

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

9. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Your right,I got my chokes mixed up. The shotgun is in rough shape and besides,it once belonged to my d!(k h#^d, ex father in law. He really loved that gun. I'll be sure to let him know how it ended up. :D

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Oh! Well then... why didn't you say that in the first place?
    That explains a LOT. :)

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

OK. . . I'm really glad that got cleared up. I was really confused about the selection of shotty for this chop project, especially in comparison to the last couple I've done.

Man I'm gonna throw out some bold. . . here it goes: Please show us some before and after pics! I'll show you mine if you do! ;)

12. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Not a problem. However,I have to get a new camera. Mine took a dump :(. But,I'll put the project on hold,until I can procure another. I know what its like to need a pics.fix. Plus,it will give me time to think on how I want to do this.;)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  13. firstsoldier

firstsoldier New Member

I used a tube cutter (for copper tubing) and took my time, turned out great.

14. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Now,that's worth looking in to. Might be a little weird with a ribbed barrel. I may just have to do step by step pics. on this one. Huuuh.......Huuuh?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  15. Arizonagunsmith

Arizonagunsmith New Member

Hi, the easiest way to fix this is to take the hacksaw to the barrel after measuring from the breach end of the barrel (removed from receiver.) Mark it at 18.5" ( this hopefully will keeps everyone from arresting you for SBS.) Take a mill file to the end of the barrel to smooth up. Take a small square (machinist, carpenter) and place against the barrel and "square up" the end. More importantly you will need to open up the gas ports with a small drill otherwise the gun wont cycle unless your shooting "high brass." I forget what size the current ones are but dont open them too much otherwise it will beat the gun to death. If the gun has a rib on it you might need to cut the barrel a bit longer and finish it there. If the rib at 18.5" means the post will be about a .5" from the end of the barrel that is great. File the rib flush with the post so it looks like the one front of the original barrel. The choke at this point is gone so you will have cylinder bore. Now you can contact a local gunsmith and have them rechoke the barrel with "screw in" chokes. I have a 7" barreled Rem. 870 with a breacher type choke in it. Yes this is a NFA gun. Jon

16. firstsoldier

firstsoldier New Member

Yur rite, works grate on an old corn sheller (mod 97 win) tho. Dipwad, it does take some common sense to work on anything, even guns.

17. superc

superc Member

I have watched this done occasionally, with mixed results.

Initially all may be well, but watch out for splitting of the barrel muzzle after firing a few shots. I have seen this happen with some brands. It seems to be a phenomena where the barrel walls as manufactured are of a different thickness at the muzzle (thicker) than they are in mid tube (thinner) below where the manufacturer expected the muzzle to be. Extra steel placed in choke forcing cone area withstands pressures better than areas where there was no choke. Likewise, sometimes the mid-tube barrel wall thickness below the manufacturer's muzzle area is a little too thin for threading in a new choke and a silver solder becomes your only option for adding a choke. Of course in such instances sometimes a few shots later the added on choke disappears down range...

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Sound like a plan! Like everyone keeps saying. . . take your time.

Also, I don't remember if I already mentioned this, but I have one of my home defense shot guns at 18" w/pistol grip stock and the other two at 20", One with pistol grip stock, one with full length stock. (garage gun ;)) ALL 12 GAUGE!

I like the ones at 20" much better!

The 18" is great, very maneuverable, pattern is fairly consistent and tight enough inside of 25 yards (buckshot), but can only accept a +2 mag tube extension and recoil is pretty hefty, so follow-up shots are slower.

The 20" guns are GREAT! They are still very easily maneuverable, however the pattern is more consistent and tight enough to shoot well past 30 yards. Recoil is noticeably less in both guns and mag tube extensions are available for many makes and models that'll hold 4 more shells. That's just fun and effective for me! :)

19. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

So,take my time getting there,but hurry back? Well,I appreciate the patience. If I'm going to do this, I really want to get it right. Yes,20" may be the way to go. One of those things to sort out. Like how to cut it,watch out for the gas port,barrel splitting. More to think about than before. Nice to know you folks are here.Thanks,again.

20. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I'm all about taking your time, especially when it comes to gun work. Didn't see the hurry back part. . .:confused: