Short to medium range scope

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by JTJ, Mar 10, 2015.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was looking for a fixed 2.5x scope for my 357 rifle with a 50 yard parallax. It may not exist. I found some shotgun scopes mostly set at 75 yards. I ordered a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4X32 shotgun scope. I called Bushnell and it has a 50 yard parallax. I would have preferred fixed but this was the closest I found. I like to use the shotgun scopes on 22lr also.
    http://swfa.com/Bushnell-175-4x32-Trophy-XLT-Shotgun-Scope-P45455.aspx

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

3. JTJ

The SigTac has no reference to the parallax setting and only 2.5" of eye relief. I looked at the prismatic scopes and I have a mounting problem. The rifle is an H&R Handi Rifle and the hammer gets in the way. The rifle has a picatiny mount. It would take 6" of eye relief to get it in front of the hammer. I have to use high rings to get a regular scope to clear the hammer. The Bushnell has a circle with fine cross hairs inside. The SigTac looks like it would work great on an AR but I have that covered with a 1-4x24.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I used a Swift scout scope (I think it was 2x) on a Mosin rifle.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

There is a difference in a rifle scope with a 100yard parallax when dealing with the best accuracy at short range . I will say its never hurt me taking that short range shot , like 25 yards plus and making a quality bullet placement. I would go ahead and pick a 2-7 -power scope with a 32mm objective and use a 125yard zero and note what it does down to 25 yards and out to 200.

I have a 44mag H&R with a old 2-7 burris and a 308 with a old bushnell 2.5-10 that's my primary creek bottom thick woods rifle since 1976 . Had many very close shots over the years . You do learn with a good cheek placement parallax will only vary a bullet impact by maybe 1/4" to 3/4" at 30 to 40 yards at most . Not good for tree rats but fine for a neck or heart shot on a deer or pig .

If you hand load ,1900fps with a speer 170sp using h110 is more than possible and carries well to 200 225yards . I not a fan of 158gr and lighter . If using a H&R/new england you can load to freedom arms levels and get another 75 yards out of it .

6. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

I am surprised by the number of people who do not pay attention to parallax, or don't even know what it is.
    For short range work I too use variable power shotgun scopes. I have had good luck finding high end scopes on eBay for a reasonable price.
    If I need more flexibility I look for a good quality scope with an adjustable objective. By using it to focus on the target (or the distance you expect your target to be at) and then checking the range setting you can get a pretty good estimate of the range to your target.
    In this way an AO scope can serve as a range finder.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on your end needs whether parallax really matters or not. if your doing bullseye where fractions of inches count then you need to set the parralax. if your hunting deer or yote and your target size is the vitals a 1/4 inch of variation really makes no difference.

the vast majority of optic use is hunting. parallax really plays no practical point in typical white tail hunts.

ive got parallax adjustable high end target optics but the vast majority of shooting i do is with nonadjustable optics. it just makes no difference unless your trying to punch x-rings at many different distances

i dont think there are any 75yd parallax optics its typically 25 for rimfire 50 for pistol and shotgun and 100 everything else. 75 is an odd distance for setting parralax in a nonadjustable.

8. JTJ

I have a Burris2.75x24 EER scout scope on my Mini 14 with an Ultimak rail. It would be nice if a scout rail was available for the H&R but seeing they are being discontinued I doubt if anyone is interested in making one. I would like to have a Handi Rifle in 9x19 but that isnt going to happen either.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. JTJ

I bought the Bushnell and I am pretty happy with it. The circle is small and gives very quick acquisition with fine cross hairs for small targets. I might pick up another one for my 10-22.

10. JCS53

JCS53 That looks like it hurt Lifetime Supporter

I've used that one on my 45-70 Marlin. It's a very nice accurate scope and tough as nails...the 45-70 recoil never knocked it off of zero. You should be good to go!!

11. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

They did make a 55 mm, I believe red dot sight. I have a 30mm on a Ruger target pistol. works well if the dot is on it it hits it.
    Only one Bass Pro hadat the time 20 years ago. ot is not quite round but wouldn't take it back. Apparently some had before but it works well.

12. tazzman55

tazzman55 New Member

I my experience parallax has only made a noticeable difference at close range. And I think if your eye is perfectly aligned with the center of the scope it should make no difference at all. Unfortunately close shots are often quick shots and sometimes at odd angles. If your target is small that is where parallax can really screw things up.
    Sight height can also come into play at close range when trying to hit small targets.

13. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you will be pleased with your choice!;) I have advised others to do the same. My favorite 'all around' big game scope is the 1 3/4 x 6!!!! good from 10 feet to 400+ yard on big game!!!!:D Americans seem to WAY over scope their HUNTING rifles.:confused:

14. fragout

fragout New Member

I am really starting to like my Leupold vx1 1-4×20mm hog scope for short distance shooting of moving hogs out to medium distance shooting. Parralex set at 75yds, and is very light in weight as well as compact.
    Reticle holdover points and priced reasonable with their lifetime warranty.

My hog dumpin rifle is also my big game rifle, and I prefer this optic to several others I have tried in the past. ( elk moose bison)
    The scope has did well even after I have put quite a bit of 308 ammunition thru the rifle it sits on now. ( I have another one just like it on my backup rifle.)

So far it has handled extreme weather in several different areas of the country just fine, and I plan to use it on my rifle for a planned caribou hunt in Alaska.

Last edited: May 24, 2015