Short term bug out items..

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by thetoad45, Sep 25, 2010.

1. thetoad45

thetoad45 New Member

[​IMG]

This is my short term bug out items. The shotgun takes apart and fits inside a pack or another member of the family can carry it. (I have two of them) I normally would choose the smaller set of optics unless there were someone else to carry it.:D The rifle and revolver are both .357 magnum and the rifle is topped off with a Burris 4x20mm Timberline scope. With the rifle filled with 9 rounds and the revolver holding six I would put one 50 round box of .357 and a box of 20 gauge #6 shot into the pack. Perhaps not enough to fight off hundreds of zombies but I also have to carry an ultralight tent, fishing line and hooks, thin rope, fire starter, small medical kit, small tarp and water/food and a change of clothes. Enough for a week one should plan on. It adds up quick. If it were winter one would need even more equipment. :( Of course with other family members these things can be distributed equally. Water and water purification is critical. You have to know where water can be found as you will never be able to carry enough to last you.
    There is a leatherman, sharpfinger, a folding Buck, a Mora stainless Swedish Military knife and a fillet knife (which probably wouldn't be taken normally.) It all looks like a lot but the shotgun is a better choice for smaller game than a .22 in my humble opinion. Depends on where one lives I suppose. All of the knives are not real expensive. The folding Buck was used to process an entire elk one time from start to finish. The Mora is about $20.00 and I used them a lot when I was a commercial fisherman in Alaska many years ago.
    So there it is.. Something to ponder and critic. I have .270 caliber rifles that I am very fond of but for a short term bug out these would be taken the the rest hidden for future uses..

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Have you considered upgrading/replacing one of the knives with a machete or hatchet? I would.

4. thetoad45

thetoad45 New Member

Yes I have. I have been wanting one I have seen at Cold Steel for some time. Just have not gotten around to it yet. They make good stuff and carry many different models. I had a Walmart cheap piece of junk that I used to cut the heads off snakes and someone stole it. Probably did me a favor. A machete is on the top of my list. Would work better here than a hatchet.

5. FT360

FT360 New Member

Good looking setup.
    Like poink88 said I’d consider replacing a couple of knives with a machete, kukri, or hatchet.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I really like Vaughan. the hatchet is for camping and lives in my pack. The Rigging Axe is in the long term Bug Out Kit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Short term???

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I saw this post and while I know it's 'Short term" I think it's way too heavy on weapons?/ Those of you that know me are sitting back saying what??????? No, I rteally feel that even a short term Kit should address the Big 3? Food, Water and Shelter! If your gear will address all those needs it's good, this one will Provide ya Shelter, and maybe food, but sure not all 3? I'd add some Food Items, add some Sheet Plastic, if even wrapped over the weapons and some simple water carry needs and I'd see it as a lot better set up! Judt my .02 and your milage may varry?

RON

8. Seven

Seven New Member

I agree.

Here's what I've put together as a BOB after close to a year "studying" preps. I planned it to last me up to 5 or days without anything else.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJx5q0U8GY]YouTube - SHTF Zombie Apocalypse Bug Out Bag Guide[/ame]

Here's a smaller GHB (get home bag) I keep in my truck at all times. Just items to get me home if the SHTF while I was at work and had to hoof it to the house.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhp4kTv3ST0[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  9. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Yep. ;) A little light weight 2 man tent would be right nice to have along to get out of the snow and rain if that were the case.

10. GMACK

GMACK New Member

I like your selection. Each man needs to decide for himself what wll work for him. Of course advice from like minded people is not a bad thing. Its free. If it was my stuff I might add a hatchet or a machete. Otherwise I like it.

11. Gunfan--actic

Gunfan--actic New Member

I just got a Cold Steel tomahawk, the blade cover says "Secure Ex", it has a chopping blade and a pointed blade. MidwayUSA has them on sale for $31.95. It has a synthetic handle about 22" long, the blade is attached with 2 screws, and the blade cover has lots of rivet holes that will make good attachment points. I highly reccomend this item.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Gunfan--actic

Gunfan--actic New Member

And I must have a knife/cutting tool obsession or something, here is my arsenal, except for the 2 hatchets and an axe that are out in the shop. I have 42 or 43 knives, axes, hatchets, and other cutting tools. I also make a few of my own, and my "in works" blades are included in the pics.

Attached Files:

• 042.jpg
      042.jpg
      File size:
      96.7 KB
      Views:
    • 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
    • 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views:
  13. RONSERESURPLUS

Weapons are fine, but More Real world use items would be a smart addition

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

You all are Missing the point! While I do love and enjoy my weapons and cutlery, I see the addition of basic Food, water and shelter would be the smart addition! Simple items like a Tarp, a small dome tent, some canteens, Water Pur goods and Food, would be better additions than 12 more knives?

The Purpose of a BOB is to make it from point A to B, and sooner or later ya have to eat, Drink and maybe even sleep? The Simple comfort items do make the trip a lot more real and easier?

As I said, I love my Firearms and even more my edged weapons, I do see a reality check needed in many folks BOB? AS in all things in life, your free to use what ya like? I just thing a little more diversity is needed in some folks Bobs?

RON

14. Gunfan--actic

Gunfan--actic New Member

I only take a hatchet or machete, and up to 3 knives. My BOB is old school, I use an older Kelty back pack, olive drab in color, that I've camo'ed the frame. My smaller bag is a camo ALICE pack/frame. For water I use 4 mil canteens, two 1qt, two 2qt, with covers and a canteen cup. I also have a pouch made up in each bag to hold a 1.5qt resevoir and drinking tube, and I have a drinking tube/cap that I can transfer from canteens. I carry a 5x7 camo tarp to use as a ground cover or to cover my one man camo bivvy shelter. I bought 2 5x10 pieces of camo burlap and have sewn them into a 10x20 piece, folded the edges over and put grommets around the perimeter. I use this to further camo my hide, or as a sleep mat for my extreme weather military mummy bag. I make fire starter by mixing saw dust and petroleum jelly, and carry zip-lock bags of dryer lint, a carbide fire striker, waterproof matches, and a couple bic lighters. I carry mil-surplus fuel bars and a mini folding stove for cooking and boiling water in the canteen cup. I carry 2 quality compasses, a map grid, note pad/pencil, and 5 or 6 topo maps of my surrounding area in a pvc tube I glued an end and threaded cap on. I live in the country of the backwoods of a very rural area, with state forest and national park land surrounding me. I carry my Marlin Papoose break-down .22lr, a S&W semi-auto 22 pistol, and my AK-47 with 6 30rd mags and a supply of ammo. I carry a spool of para-cord, a small flashlight, and several micro-lights that all use the same size battery, and a supply of batteries. I carry a few MRE's, a few canned meats, multi-grain bars, mandarin oranges in those little friut cups, they have more vitamin content than the mixed fruit. And I use the .22s to shoot squirrel, rabbit,the nieghboring farmers turkeys and chickens, along with any fresh veggies I can "snipe" from the garden. I carry fishing line and supplies, as there is a decent sized river nearby full of smallmouth, goggle eye, and buegill or sunfish. Float trips for tourists is a main source of income on this river, and taking a canoe would be quite easy for transportation further into the woods, or on downstream to a larger town and resources. Maybe I need to add one of my 4' 6'' ultralight spinning rods/reels and more tackle to my bag. This is my basic BOB contents and my survival plan. It probably lacks something here or there, or is overloaded elsewhere. But I try to make at least two 5 day drills a year, one in summer, one in winter, and I seem to do okay.

15. RONSERESURPLUS

Gunfan I like the way you roll!

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS, R4esponce to gunfan, I like the way you roll!

I see a lot more of value in your BOB set, I see it as a Layered kit, not all is with me 24/7, but a core of that Kit is! I don't have the Marlin Papoose like you do, but I had a AR-7, I'd like to add a Stainless steel Papoose back to the kit, as someone broke int my Van and stole the AR-7, he's welcome to it, as it was not very reliable anyhow! LOL

I use a CFP-90, as a Main Pack, as well as a CFP-90 compbat pack off of it for my Vehicle part of the kit! My Kit Mirrors yours in many ways but a few! I carry a Coleman Peak 1 Mini stove, as well as a Brit Larger copy of the Esbit stove with Heximine bars as they burn hotter and warmer than the GI Triox Bars your using! I have a small Hudson Bay Hatchet I like and it's accross the front of the CFP-90 in the loops! I use a Ka-Bar next Gen in the Rig or on the combat pack, a Gerber Multti tool, as well as a Spyderco Police model so Yea, I guess I carry close to the same cutlery?

I like a 2 QT as well as a1 1 qt, with a 5 QT Bladder extra in the Main Pack if I need it, that one is left deflated and rolled up! Bottom of the CFP90 has the 4 Pieve Molle sleeping system I use as well as a few Camo Tarps I use to Rig a lean to if I want and need to, as well as a roll of was like 45 ft Para cord! AM/FM/SW Pocket radio with a AA battery solar charger to power it if needed! I have a quality silva Compass I used inthe Military and a topo of my AO! I carry some dried fruit, as well as dehrdrated soup and stew mixes! I use a Maddi AKM clone along with a M-95 Classic 9MM BHP clone, but those items I don't count as limited members of my BOB! I have a few different containes for Strike anywhere matches as well as a Swedish Fire steel and a few different Lighters! a Drop line and small box of Fishing gear as well! I feel the Pole takes up too much room and I hate them anyhow! I have a water Purification straw as well as a Kayadin Water filter and some coffie filters to keep out the crud into my filter! Your BOB is a lot like mine, with some minor differences, like yourself, I have tried mine for weeks at a time just adding more food as I needed! Good Post and thanks for yur contribution to the reality of a BOB!

RON

16. bkt

bkt New Member

Gunfan -- what's the knife in the bottom pic fifth in from the right? It's woodland camo on the handle and blade and looks like it might be an auto.

17. Gunfan--actic

Gunfan--actic New Member

I think its a MAXAM, but not an auto, a flipper. I loosen all the blades on my flippers just enough that I can flip them open about as fast as an auto.