Short LOP

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Salvo, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Salvo

Salvo New Member

This is something unusual that I would appreciate comments on.

I have owned dozens of long arms, and I keep noticing that despite the fact that I am fairly tall, with long arms and big hands, I keep noticing that rifles with shorter than usual length of pull (LOP) seem to fit me better, and are easier to shoot accurately.

Examples would be old WWII military arms, which tend to a short LOP, the M1A, and in particular some rimfire guns like my Savage 17HMR caliber rifle with the thumbhole stock.

When I fire an AR, I never extend the stock all of the way, but instead choose one of the intermediate positions.

[​IMG]

Many times I have heard about short LOP guns being good for use in the winter when one would be wearing a heavy coat - but I feel more comfortable with them even if it's warm and I'm just wearing a T-shirt on top.

I am planning on buying a new Browning A-Bolt soon - and I'm starting to wonder if I might be better off with the "Micro" model.

Comments?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You will perform better when comfortable. Get the one that fits.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A shorter LOP will generally help you "square up" behind a rifle or shotgun a bit better. Some folks are more comfortable this way. Some folks with bigger shoulders and necks like shorter LOP as well. Just because someone is "big" doesn't mean that the LOP is the best for the rest if their anatomy, or shooting style.

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

You have answered your own question. As stated above, it is all that matters. I had the exact same question before I got my A-Bolt. I am slightly below average height. I set the AR stock on the 3d click. The Micro stock felt too short for me, and the standard one fit just right.

5. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I decided to look over the A-Bolt Micro at the Browning website - and didn't see it listed there any more.

They make a Micro in the X-Bolt, but I prefer the A-Bolt model.

Fortunately I know how to install recoil pads, so I can saw a bit off of a standard stock and mount the pad of my choice after the stock is shortened up a little.

I might even be able to recycle the original pad, if it I like it.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I think it's because bolt action is a little handier to operate more away from your face. Also there is more room for the eye relief.

Edit. It's about why a longer pull on a bolt action. Good morning.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

If you shoot better with a short LOP use it. I like a relatively short LOP on my hunting rifles but longer seems to work better on shotguns. I do feel a slight bit more recoil on the short side but I never notice it while shooting game. the difference is probably aiming a rifle and pointing a shotgun. My bad.