shoot'n snakes question

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by deg, Jun 23, 2014.

1. deg

deg Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Got a question for you’all – ok I live outside the city limits but in a residential type area (1-acre lots), which consist of a fairly nice housing community. We have several ponds in the area and the one adjacent to my house is getting a goodly amount of water moccasins / cottonmouths, whichever you know them by. It is also the most popular pond that all the kids play in and around, including my 12-year-old boy and my 2-year-old grandson, which I am always with, but still a little un-nerving.

I think I would like to start shooting the with my .22 S&W wheel loaded with snake charmers – should I just start doing it and explain to anyone who asks and hope word gets around or should I notify the neighbors of my intentions first?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If you intend to hunt snakes on community property, you should get consent from the community.

No offense and none taken

3. deg

I ain't hunting them - planning on just kill'n 'em! - point taken - 1 in favor of notification.

4. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I would check with the local LEA before shooting anything.

5. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Probably not as much fun.....but why dont you just chop their head off with a shovel..? Thats what Dad used to do when he found them down at the creek / drain tunnel.

6. MisterMcCool

That only works on land, and takes a lot of the fun out of it. :p

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is far easier to trap snakes than to shoot them. I am guessing at this figure. I would say I average catching 9 snakes a year on my property. I have already caught 3 snakes this spring. Yet, I saw a blacksnake in the flowerbed in my front yard last week. It appears that there is a never ending supply of snakes in this area.

I make my snake traps out of deer mesh. I cut a 3 or 4 foot piece of deer mesh. Then I wad it up like a pile of leaves in an area where snakes are likely to travel. Around a pond there are a lot of holes dug by other animals. If the ground around the hole is wore like something is going in and out of it but there are no tracks you have just spotted a snake den. Put a trap right there.

Here is the deer mesh I use. Check you traps daily. A trapped snake is hyper aggressive and a big threat to curious children. Plus you get a chance to spot a snake to shoot while checking your traps.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Gardener-7-ft-x-100-ft-DeerBlock-Protective-Mesh-6050/100328622

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  8. MisterMcCool

A dead snake is less threatening. ;)

9. deg

Although we are not in city limits, one of my neighbors is a city cop. I did plan on visiting with him first regardless.

10. deg

Done some of that, but them boogers end up with too high of an escape rate.

11. deg

Green Machine - your description is spot on, lots of crawdad holes and whatnot. Them little bass turds are plumb sneaky snakes! What do you want me to do with them once I have them trapped - shoot'em?

12. deg

And keep in mind that cottonmouths are both venomous and aggressive without being in a trap. And while I am at work I'd be worried some kid would pull the trap to see what he could use for fort building material.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Most "venomous" snakes are misidentified. Last week I found a garter snake in the back yard and found him a new home outside of town near the river. Yeah, I like snakes, always have. But I understand the fear of children getting bit.

Funny though, I grew up playing all the time in NC ponds and branches yet all of us kids, with no adult supervision, somehow avoided drowning and getting bit. I certainly saw my share of cotton mouths and copper heads though. Maybe we were just more aware and in touch with nature in the '50s-'60s.

14. mboylan

mboylan New Member

A .22 will ricochet off water. It's not safe in a residential area. Use a shotgun.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

It might be worthwhile to call your Dept. of Natural Resources, or whoever handles wildlife problems in your area. I wouldn't expect them to actually handle the snake problem, but atleast you will have a record of having contacted "the authorities" prior to handling your own business. A little CYA can go a long way sometimes.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

First I need to say I hate poisonous snakes and Bugs that can bite and kill you, I cant imagine my youthful rural rat days being interrupted by slithering venomous critters, the hunt would be on!!! In NY we keep our dangerous critters in Zoo's and Albany, the elected snakes are harder than hell to get rid of once they move in!

Good idea to warn the neighbors about the snakes and your hunting them. I would think you should be able to kill them pretty easily with 22 shotshells and they arent nearly as much a neighborhood distraction as larger calibers, a semi long gun would work nice for the follow up shot in case your a little off your mark and it would give you a little more standoff and a bat if the snake gets pissed and wont die!

Good luck, kill-em if you see them!

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It is easy to identify a poisonous snake, they have a triangle shape head. A non poisonous snake will have an oval shaped head. There is no such thing as a harmless snake if you have pets. A big blacksnake bit my dog and laid her head open before she killed it. After I paid that vet bill I started trapping snakes.

18. deg

It's bird shot and I would only take the shot if it was basically a straight down shot. Where I see them is along the high bank areas. I am sure they are along the low banks also but those are weed covered. And when I say high bank I am really only talking 2-3 foot drop. It'd be an easy kill.

19. deg

I am not a snake guy but these match the pictures on the net.

20. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

LOL......I hate to be the voice of reason..but it's probably a bad idea to go all "Snake Plissken" at the Community pond........

Attached Files: