Shooting with or without prescription glasses?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by kirbinster, Mar 4, 2013.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

For those of you who wear glasses for distance, I was wondering if you wear them or not when you are shooting your handgun. I have been wearing mine but am thinking maybe it would be better not to. I noticed today that with them on I could not get a really clear focus on the front sight. I can with them off, but then the target, especially as I move it further away, is not very sharp. I know you want to focus on the front sight, so I am thinking maybe just safety glasses would be a better option?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If your prescripts do not get the front sight clear, why not get them corrected?

I have a set of trifocals for everyday use, and a special set of bi-focals with the near area enlarged. They work great on the compter and the firing range.

3. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

Well I only use the glasses for driving, otherwise I never wear them. I can see fine close up without them, but when I have them on they do tend to degrade my close up vision. I don't need correction for up close, just need to not have the long correction.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Then I would go with Safety glasses.

But never shoot without eye protection.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Been nearsighted & wearing glasses since i was 12 & shooting with the same -

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have a friend who once told me he shoots at the middle of the big black blob while only wearing safety glasses. Geez..I think it is better to wear a white jacket when shooting with him.

7. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I had a special pair of glasses made that have good focus at arm's length (no pun intended). They were made back when I had a job that involved a lot of bench work and computer use. These were single vision. And they worked quite well for shooting, too.

8. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

If I didn't wear my glasses when shooting, no one on the range would be safe! :eek:

9. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

So the consensus seems to be that I should just close my eyes and shoot :D

Guess I will give it a try with plain safety glasses next time.