Shooting with non dominant hand

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by pomsarelv, Mar 24, 2013.

1. pomsarelv

pomsarelv New Member

The past 2 nights I have awakend with my hand asleep from laying on it wrong, and have wondered how in the world can I pick up and fire a gun with a limp hand. Has anyone ever trained shooting with your opposite hand?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Yes, I've trained with non-dominant hand.

It should be part of one's training.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

Every time I take my carry guns to the range. You never know how a stress situation will go down.

4. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes and it ain't pretty.I don't do anything south paw . Hopefully there won't be anyone around if it comes to that because it will be spray and pray at that point!!!!

5. Colby

Colby New Member

Yes, it was even part of my ccw class here in Ohio. Non-dominant hand defense. It wasn't that bad...

6. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

After coming very very close to getting most of my fingers on my dominant hand cut off a few weeks ago I've started thinking about this too.

7. Sparrowe

Sparrowe New Member

Like Colby said above I was taught that yesterday in Ohio CCW class. Learn to use the opposite hand. One you could get shot in your dominate arm and need to know how to shoot with your opposite hand, second what if you need to look around a corner and you are looking around your opposite dominate hand, then you have to show more body to get that gun around the corner, but if you learn with your less dominate hand all that will be showing around the corner is the gun and your side of your head looking down your sights. That could be the difference of life or death! LEARN TO SHOOT WITH BOTH HANDS!!

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Learning to shoot with both hands is a fantastic idea and one I've been rather aggravated about not being able to practice due to nerve damage. The best I can do to attempt to make up for this is being able to shoot with my non-dominant eye.

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate when my hand falls asleep during the day. I just know it's going to be up all night.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Enter: le stranger...

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I do that all the time! Hate it! Lol

But no, I don't train for anything, ever. Basic hand eye coordination will suit me fine, or it won't, no big deal to me either way. However I'm very confident I would remain victorious and proven correct, as usual.

Still, if you wish to do so, well, then do. I enjoy the occasional double fisted mag dumping, just for fun. Otherwise it's point and shoot and the eyes are what leads the aim, not the hand. It's the brain that receives the input then sends the impulse to the extremity which simply follows direction.

That's my take.

12. kaido

kaido New Member

I can speak for hand gun shooting, but I do it all the time while out shooting gophers with the .22s and the .243. It helps keep things interesting and make a "training" more enjoyable.

13. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I can shoot with either hand, I'm a slightly better shooter with my left hand than my right.

14. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Ideally you should learn to shoot equally well with both hands, and you should be able to do it without support from the other hand. A good start is to visit any guitar shop and get a hand exerciser to build strength in the weak hand. They're usually between 5 and 10 dollars US.

You should also practice proper reloading techniques using only one hand. Remember, safety first! Do it with that muzzle pointed downrange at all times. Depending on what you shoot, this can be an adventure.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Weak hand shooting is a critical skill for defense. And it's not hard to learn.

A lot of dry fire practice and a little live fire practice.

16. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Yep, I practice all the time shooting single hand unsupported with
    non-dominant eye. When you practice Kant your pistol a bit to the inside it gives a bit better support and helps engage your forearm muscles.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Practice and shooting with the weak hand is a good practice. Only thing is regardless of strong hand or weak hand you should still use your dominant eye when shooting if at all possible unless the target is real close! And then you should only be using what is called a flash sight picture with both eyes open. It is simply looking directly over the iron sights pointing the gun center mass and with a solid stance, and grip, and smooth trigger pull firing. Try it! And practice supported and non supported. If you do not do it all the time you will never feel totally comfortable with it. But as long as you are going through the proper steps when shooting you should be on target. It could be your strong hand gets injured, or you are in a hallway getting shot at. And in order to be less exposed shooting around a corner.
    Both are why you must practice weak handed. But when firing weak hand with a semi auto pistol be sure your *strong hand thumb is *down along the side of the pistol frame and not sticking up behind the slide !!!!!! ;)
    Similar grip with a revolver otherwise the Hammer Spur may be restricted by the support hand thumb and not able to have full travel to fire the revolver. Proper Grip is critical at all times but especially when shooting weak hand.

18. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

This. Every time.

19. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

I was unexpectedly required to fire weak hand supported by strong hand during a requalification . I crossed my strong hand thumb over out of habit and the Glock slide bit me . Now, all my weak hand shooting is unsupported . If I have to do it two-handed again, I'll use a cup-and-saucer grip .
    " Flash Sight Picture " means something different than what was said above . What was described above is " point shoulder with reference to the sights " .
    " Flash Sight Picture ", according to Jeff Cooper, means " verifying an alignment already achieved ". The idea is that you practice your presentation enough that you automatically roughly line up the sights by muscle memory . Once you verify a rough sight picture, you fire . You do not stop and align the sights .
    Using the weak hand for weak-side barricade works fine on the range. In a real gunfight, you should not and will not transfer your gun to the weak hand for this action .

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Being left handed I learned at an early age that it's a good thing to try to do things with either hand. I shoot better left handed but can hit my target with my right too. I practice it most times out shooting.:)