Shooting with both eyes open

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by indyfan, Oct 9, 2010.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Anyone do it? How does it work?

I tried it, but I get all cross eyed and the sight doubles. :confused: I was told it's better to shoot with both eyes open, but is there some sort of training involved?

(didn't know which forum to post this in, I mostly shoot handguns, so here it is)

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Shooting with both eyes open allows you to relax the face muscles more than one eye open. I have seen people put "scotch" tape on the non-dominant eye lens of their their glasses.

Concentrate on the front sight

3. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

See the Target first;)

indyfan; Sir; ''sarge was talking to recruit'' 'me' listened :)

before firearm comes to position; ''see'' your target; pull firearm into position ''without'' taking your eyes off target. Will prevent the cross ''eye'' feeling
    Worked for me; and 40yrs. later; still working :)

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i shoot both eyes open even with a scope. i cant explain how its just natural to me. if you shoot naturally with one closed do it that way.

5. silentghost

silentghost New Member

I used to always shoot with one eye closed. You lose so much field of view this way though. I had the same problem you do with seeing double. What worked for me was to use one eye, get the sight picture, then open up my other eye. Eventually you get used to having both eyes open. Hope fully it works for you.

6. indyfan

indyfan New Member

thanks for the tips, I will give it a try

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I always shoot with both eyes open.

1) I didn't want to have one more thing to do (close an eye) in my shooting sequence. Simplicity is good.
    2) Nope...that's the reason!

There is one really big drawback since I use a laser on my carry pistol: I see 2 dots out there in space. Truly, I'm focusing on the front sight, but it is a little distracting seeing a dot several inches to the left of my point of aim.

Come to think of it, if you see only one dot and both eyes are open, that is proof that you are not thinking "front sight, front sight, front sight!" You are looking at the dot!

8. kdog

kdog New Member

Cover your non dominant eye with a half transparent (not black) plastic strip.
    That way you can leave both eyes open, without getting double vision on the target.

That is what I do.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

But then what about when you don't have your cool glasses? I just go au natural because I want as many factors as possible the same as I may encounter during an actual critical situation. I'm not a competition shooter.

10. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

When it comes to trap and skeet shooting I've always shot with both eyes open. I don't know how but from my early teens when I started shooting trap and skeet it just came natural. With not much effort both eyes were open when using iron sights on rifles and pistols. I still took some practice and effort though.

Now... The last couple of years I have begun using scopes more than ever before. For some reason unknown to me I would close my left eye when using scopes. So I went along with it for awhile. For this long range shooting I gotten myself into not having both eyes open is a disatvantage for reading the wind. I've been working on keeping both eyes open for some time now when using a scope and now I'm able to pull it off constantly and comfortably.

Squinting the left eye after awhile did put a strain on the muscles surrounding the right eye which was looking through the scope. O.K. for a short while but soon was causing my right eye to fatigue. Not good.

Both eyes open in the begining of doing this was really screwing with what little brain I have as the left eye was viewing unmagnified natural image and the right eye was viewing a magnified image along with reticle and although a larger image a much smaller field of view. It was somewhat like both eyes seeing two different pictures. I think my brain was really not likeing this at first. Within only just over a month of effort and practice, the key word being practice, I have been able to near totally overcome what I refer to as the dreaded squinting eye syndrome.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

And now, your most natural state--both eyes open, looking downrange at the target--is the state you can use to engage a threat.

That's what training will do. Don't fight nature, get used to it.

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Well.. It's a little bit like fighting nature at first and forcing your brain to get used to it. The eye thing for me was not the issue, it was the brain thing. You see, I am looking at things with the left eye that are not much the target but the indications of the conditions of the wind. Also looking at the swirls or mirage of the air with right eye through the scope before I squeeze one off to further calculate wind deflection in my head. I now leave my windage at 100 yard zero and shoot off Mill dots for hold off at further ranges. It's much quicker and works extremely well for me. Once you get your brain there it's kinda' like muscle memory. At least thats how it's working for me.

You are correct though, training and practice is the key to pulling this off.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Chris, non-perscription glasses "should" not make any difference (paralax maybe). I will not let anyone shoot without eye protection.

Those are your only eyes, why take chances if you do not have to? All it takes is one hot casing, and your shooting days are over.
    (And the casing does not have to come from your firearm.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  14. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

I have always found that for defensive shooting it is absolutely neccessary to learn instinctice shooting techniques...ie:stance and both eyes open. I was taught to triangulate on my target using my support hand as a "pointer". I practice around the house with an empty pistol and when I get to the range it pays off. It stands to reason if your in a "real" defensive shooting situation your not going to be aiming with one eye or using iron sights for that matter. You want to learn to pull and shoot without all the fuss. This is why I love my Colt New Agent 45. not alot of crap in the way to clutter things up...;)

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I wasn't suggesting he shoot without goggles, just that during a critical situation he won't have special glasses with a piece of tape over his left eye. So he should strongly consider learning how to shoot with both eyes open.

Always shoot with "eyes" and "ears"!

16. eurotrade

eurotrade New Member

The shooting...It's better with the both eyes open. Even if you are short-sighted, the one eye compensate the other.

Of course it will be hard in the beginning, but you will use to it with the time. You need a few days

If you start to get cross eyed, you should try closing one of your eyes just for a sec. This way you can find which image is the real one.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  17. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Amen on the scotch tape over shooting glasses. This was the only way I was able to shoot with both eyes open. It is very difficult to train your eyes to do, but well worth it. Try focusing on the front sight of your gun with the barrel a couple of inches from a blank wall. ( gun being unloaded of course ) This will help your eyes to focus eliminating some of the perspective factors.

18. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Try a modified Weaver stance 90 degrees to your target with your grip arm extended...your "free" hand supporting your pistol under your grip hand while using your supporting hand index finger as a sort of "pointer". With head at an angle to your target, your dominate eye is further from the target while your "weak" eye is in line...You will naturally triangulate without trying and with practice, you really can't miss within reason...think of mindlessly tossing a piece of paper into the trash can from across the room and how you almost never miss...and too remember to practice every other possible position...imagine catching a round to your shooting arm and having to return fire with your weak hand...or laying on your back shooting behind you...you get the idea...yeah I got it bad...of course then there's just target shooting for fun...:D