Shooting well

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Aug 22, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

One of the things that irked me about the shooting portion of Top Shot was the supposedly "top" shooters that couldn't perform with a different platform. The Glock guy made every excuse in the book and the cowboy whined about the narrow trigger on the Peacemaker. We all have a platform we shoot the best but I think a decent "pistoleer" should be able to pick up any handgun and shoot respectably. Like many of us, I shoot a 1911 the best as it's a shooters gun. This being said, I also try to shoot my others just as well - it's just a bit more of a challenge.

Had my Sig 229 (in .40) at the range yesterday and I ran about 200 rounds through it. I didn't achieve the groups I do with my 1911s but I shot it pretty well after getting warmed up. While I could probably become a much better shot by using only a single platform - where's the fun in that? Besides, if the SHTF, I may have to use something I've never used before and I think being adaptable is a good thing...

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right on that. That's why I rotate what I plink with just about every time I go shooting. By the way-is it ok to nominate you for casting on season 2?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nah Bear, me and drama doesn't get along to well. I also really, really suck at anything over 10-12 yards...

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I agree that one should not limit themselves to one platform. As an instructor, I have to know how to use different types. Who would listen to a handgun instructor if he/she cannot shoot a handgun?

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I shoot everything I own as regularly as possible. I used to have many guns, now I just have a few, but I'm proficient with all of them. I don't see the point in not being able to shoot them well. They ain't paperweights. ;)

6. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

So you guys know how reality tv works right? Its a thing called editing. so when they have a couple days worth of footage and they condense it into a 1 hour show which is more like 45 minutes, only the best stuff makes it in. So when the guy who missed a couple shots says that the is not used to the trigger pull, it makes it and the guy eating cereal at the table doesn't.
    Now i totally agree as world class shooters you should be able to shot basically everything under the sun pretty good. i also agree that what they did was pretty cool. I want some of those reactive targets that explode when i hit em.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

When shooting the other day we shot at 5oyard targets for fun. We found out we could consistently hit the man-size targets at that range which surprised me.

We did this after warming up and with all four pistols (3"XD40sc, 3"Ruger sp101, CZ75b9mm, and 4"Kimber pro carry2.45acp)

It is good to know and practice with a variety of platforms.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I agree 100%. I find autos easier to shoot then revolvers but I'm working on the revolvers more and more.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

Try here. I think there are other brands out there too.

10. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Couldn't agree more. I'm almost the polar opposite of the folks that you are referring to. Once I get to a certain point of comfort and proficiency with a firearm I begin to get bored and switch it up. This has also prevented me from ever becoming perfect with any gun (except close to the single-six).

However, I can pretty much pick up any gun and after a quick function once-over and sight test, shoot it accurately and fast enough to be effective with it. That's what's important to me.

11. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

Also agree! Single action definately more efficient target practice, Double action great for draw and shoot. don't have to take time to cock. My bro-n-law stands sideways and holds handguns so close that semi-autos almost hit him in the face but thats the way he shoots best. My dad single handed is better than two hands. I just don't get it. So yes, to each is own.

12. sebbie

sebbie New Member

Specialization is for insects

I agree with shooting all kinds of guns. I have all kinds of guitars and the basics work on all of them too. Guns don't seem to be too different just louder.

Now for the stupid Irish girl question. What the hell is SHTF? :confused:

I can't seem to find a event reference online.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It means when S**t Hits The Fan.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

15. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

When we were camping, I put some rounds through my 6" GP100. I found that I'm not as good with it as I thought I was. :eek:

I think part of it is the trigger is way too stiff. I'm going to order a Wolff Shooters Pack of springs and change them out and I'm also going to pick up a red insert front sight from Ruger and change out the front sight.

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Funny you mention it. I just got done shooting my 4" GP100 and while I definitely shot it well enough for what it is intended for, I know I could do better.

I took my Redhawk along and I was about 2x as fast from draw to target acquisition. I accredit this mainly due to the orange front sight. I've also heard that Green is the best color for the eye to pick up.

17. jetgirl

jetgirl New Member

I'm sure the stress of trying to perform and knowing they were being filmed (and the host chattering over the whole thing) added to the mistakes.
    Personally, getting to shoot tons of different stuff all in one outing is what makes it fun for me. The only problem is...I don't have enough "tons of different"! :D

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Give it time and love. . . and it will come. ;)

19. sebbie

sebbie New Member

OK now I know. SHTF

Oh, so its apocalyptic thing. Or Mr. Obama talking near an rotating oscillator. In either case you really should own a gun.

English is such a dual meanings language.

Thanks Stalking Bear
    Seb

20. sebbie

sebbie New Member

wow the graphics

Thanks Canebrake for really making it easy to understand. Now thats funny that someone would take the time to do that.

I hope I was not being too stupid. There is a lot of ameri-speak I need to learn. :eek:

Seb