Shooting Walther P1 (P38) - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bf109, Jul 5, 2011.

1. bf109

bf109 New Member

I’m fairly new to shooting pistol. So far I shot about 500 rounds of 9mm Luger ammo and 1,500 rounds of 22 l.r.

I bought a military surplus post-war Walther P1 (same as P38) from AIM a few months ago and have shot about 150 rounds but could never get hang of the aiming, accuracy, or grouping. What’s the right aiming technique and SIGHT Picture for the P1?

First, my shots were consistently 3-4 inches (with target 8-10 yards away) lower than where I aimed at. Second, the grouping was large and not consistent at all.

FYI, I also shoot a HK P7 PSP with which I have excellent accuracy (2 inch group at 8-10 yards). Even better with my Browning Buckmark 22 l.r. So I would think my shooting technique is ok.

Is there anything wrong with my aiming or handling of the gun? Or, it’s the P1 itself. Some people said the front sight might not be the correct height. But my grouping should be consistent.

What can I do to improve the accuracy shooting the P1? Thanks.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

There are many possibilities as too what is affecting the accuracy. I could have been the ammunition, but I suspect it's just the matter of you getting use to firing handguns. When you're new to firing any type of firearm it usually takes a bit to get use to that type of firearm and the same thing goes for each individual firearm. Since you're new to shooting handguns I would say that is the most likely suspect, but that doesn't mean it's definately the one.

3. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

Even though you shoot good groups with other weapons, it doesn't mean something is wrong with the P1. It could have something to do with the grip angle, the texture of the grips, the trigger, ....you name it. You should let a seasoned shooter puts some rounds downrange before blaming the gun. If they can't group well with it, ask them if it's the gun. A good shooter will tell you if they think something is amiss...literally.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

Do that.

If it isn't the gun, it may be the very different grip styles between the P7 and the P1.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

P1 is not as well assembled as the P7.
    One key element to accuracy is the way that things work together. The P7 has a "fixed" barrel (pinned to the frame), the P1 not.
    Let someone else try the P1 and try it from a rest. The P1 is a "service" pistol and may not lend itself to great accuracy.

6. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

Use a commercial rest or sandbags to help take the human element out to see what kind of group the handgun will hold. If it is all over the place, then you know it's either the gun or the ammunition; change out the ammunition. If it holds a group off a rest then you know what the problem is.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

When I had a P1, it initially shot low as well. I found that it shot more accurately with 124gr. ammunition. I was told that it was designed to shoot the stuff. Now whether that is true or not, I don't know. But I do know that when I switched to the heavier round, the point of impact was raised.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Copmpare your P1 to the Beretta 92. Very close, except the front sight on the 92 is part of the "slide", on the P1 it is part of the barrel.

For great accruacy from the P1, the barrel has to align perfectly every time.