Shooting the Auto 5 What shells?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by davemccarthy707, Oct 27, 2009.

1. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Just wondering if the Remington Hevi-shot is safe to shoot from my Belgian Auto 5. The shells I bought were the 3 inch magnum buffered turkey load.
    I know you shouldnt shoot steel shot from these old barrels but these shells are supposed to be an alloy mixture heavier than lead and just as soft.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, I would use lead where I could on your nice old shotgun. Hevi-Shot is NOT as soft as lead- it is a Tungsten-Nickel-Iron alloy. However, why not contact Remington, and maybe ask them about their Wingmaster ammo? It is also a non-toxic shot that is about 16% softer than Hevi-Shot.

3. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Just called Browning, they said no-go. The guy says you can shoot steel thru any old Auto-5 without danger of hurting your barrel. However a "Ring" will appear behind the choke. He says its simply cosmetic but why take a chance?
    Anyways gonna bring back the hevi-shot and pick up the wingmaster hd.

4. YJGUY

YJGUY New Member

I had a gunsmith open my chokes up to modified and improved cylinder on a couple of shooters I have. I now shoot steel with no worries.

5. bowtecbowhunter

bowtecbowhunter New Member

depends

You said you wanted to shoot 3" shells. You'd better check to make sure you can shoot it, I have an a5 myself an love it , but it only accepts 2 3/4". If I was you I'd make sure you could shoot it.

6. YJGUY

YJGUY New Member

The reciever should be marked Magnum Twelve or it is only a 2 3/4" model.