shooting suppressed savage 308

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by JonM, Jul 28, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

wife and took the surefire fa762k suppressor and savage 10 fcp-sr with nightforce nxs 3.5-15x f1 scope out today

shooting was 300yards but the first few shots i stupidly had the barrel resting on the support which totally ruined the accuracy of that string. :/

not sure if the video will embed right or not

http://www.firearmstalk.com/video/surefire-fa762k-savage-10-fcpsr-20.html

here is a submoa 300yard grouping

[​IMG]

this is one QUIET supressor all i could hear was the crack of the bullet. it was a huge attraction at the range spent a lot of time explaining how to get a suppressor lol

the wife really enjoyed shooting it and produced a nice 3 inch 5 shot string at 300yards on the gentleman's target to her left lol

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

well if there is a way to embed vids uploaded to ftf im clueless

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am going to "thumbs up" this report as I can count on one hand the number of suppressed rifle Range Reports that we have seen.

Thanks Jon - This makes me want to retrofit my .308 and add a rifle suppressor to the Family Trust in the very near future. ;)

JD

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks. ill have a more interesting one next weekend. the wife was there the range was super busy so i didnt do as much as i really wanted. im going to put the surefire on my bcm for next weekend and see how it works.

the guy to the left of us was shooting a 22lr rifle and his shots were louder than my 308 with the surefire. its an amzingly quiet gun. if you listen close to the vid around the second shot you can hear his 22 and my shot.

plus in the vid you get to see me doing something stupid. if you notice where im not resting the forestock and totally ruining the harmonics of the barrel. the shot group for that 3 rounds was about 6 inches at 300yds. with it properly rested its doing about 1.5 inches at 300.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  5. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

OMG did you really have the barrel sitting on the front rest and not the stock!?! Who cares how quiet it is when you miss?! This pains me in so many ways, -1 /sigh
    Yeah your busted and nothing you can do or say can fix it now, just plain dirty!

Badshot

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Yeah i know i didnt missthe target it was just bad grouping. But i dont hide my mistakes or issues i have with my gear.

7. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

for total silence you can load a subsonic round (must use a cast lead bullet, i.e 200gr. in front of 7gr. of unique for 1050fps). only thing is that it takes a normal 300yd. zero to engage 100yds.

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You don't need a lead bullet to go subsonic.

We use fmj over Trail Boss.

9. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

sorry, im old school (15 years ago) back when i was loading them, trailboss was not available

10. willfully armed

Its fun stuff, and impossible to overcharge

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

What sorts of loads have you found accurate for subsonics and trail boss out of a 1:10 twist??

12. willfully armed

I've only loaded 223 for squirrel hunting. I think my buddy ran some 308. Know another guy who runs it in 7.62x54

13. Longrange

Longrange New Member

Some pics of the supressed beast would be cool. I wish I could justify the cost and get one for my .22 bolt action.