shooting slugs through a gun with a screw in choke

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by old fart, Nov 23, 2012.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

will it hurt to shoot slugs in a single barreled shotgun with a screw in choke? i will be using a improved cylinder choke tube with foster type slugs. will it blow my choke tube out? thanks

2. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Nope all safe!! I shoot slugs through my mod choke all the time..

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Perfectly safe I've done it for years

4. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Your good to go

5. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

You are good to go. Stick with Imp cyl or cyl tubes when using slugs and you will be fine.

Jim.........

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

Modified works just as good

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I think masterPsmith was inferring that the use of cylinder or improved cylinder chokes would most likely result in the most accuracy.

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

Thsts a myth too every slug gun I've tried a modified tube in has always shot better with the modified tube

9. old fart

old fart New Member

Update!!

well i shot the slugs and the gun is fine, however it shot a foot low at 50yds. it has a 28" barrel and i'm thinking of cutting it down to 18.5 inches. i'm getting a shorter stock too, as the one on it is too long for me. will a shorter stock help me?, or cutting the barrel down? i would like for it to shoot slugs good but if nothing else i'll make a good camp and trapping gun. thanks

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

No one can say if cutting the barrel will make it shoot better or worse. Why get a shorter stock when you can easily cut the original down? Did you try a couple different chokes?

11. old fart

old fart New Member

i tried cylinder and improved cylinder and 3 slug types winchester remington and federal. win were the lowest rem second the federal at 10 inches. my stock is synthetic if i cut it down no place for a pad. i have the pardner model single shot with the nickel receiver and 28" barrel with screw in choke. i thought nif i cut it down to 18.5 that it might help. thanks

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

Does it have a vent rib

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm old and still think every gun has a wood stock. :)

14. old fart

old fart New Member

no rib, this is a single shot with screw in choke. thanks

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

You could always have it drilled and tapped and put a scope or red dot on it

16. old fart

old fart New Member

the gunsmith in my area won't drill as he said it may weaken the chamber. may try the new stock before i have it cut. thanks

17. akers06

akers06 New Member

This sounds crazy but when I was a kid I had a single shot .410 and it was shooting off and my dad put the barrel in a vice and slightly vent the barrel and it shoot pretty close after that.....I don't know how have you are but it's an idea lol

18. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I prefer not to shoot slugs through my shotgun with screw in choke, I've got an old cut down barrel i use for cheap slugs and a another gun with a rifled barrel which is my dedicated slug gun.

19. old fart

old fart New Member

i tried a rueb shotgun sight halfway down the barrel and it helped as it lets me take part of the barrel and my shots went up. but its made from plastic and it could get moved from a solid hit to it. i have wondered about a barrel mount that would fit just in front of the forarm, then put a small red dot on the mount. do ya'll think that would work? thanks