shooting skeet...LGC

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by okieboy, Apr 19, 2013.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I've shot skeet casually before but never at a gun club. I understand the basic rules of skeet and of course I've read the club rules but they just cover the shot size, safety etc. I was wondering if anybody happens to be a member at Lafayette Gun Club or has shot skeet at a gun club before what should I expect? I was hoping to take my gf with me but we'd be sharing one gun. Is this possible to do? Will a shotgun range allow only two people to shoot if that's all that shows up?

2. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Your best option is to give the club a call and make arrangements to visit. Then you can see what's going on, talk about range rules etc. There will be a lot of knowledgeable people there who could give you great advice and it will make your first shoot alot less nervy. You will shoot much better if you feel relaxed and will take in much more information.

Have fun

3. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

The out door range I go to let's you share a gun if you want also the provide the Clays and throwers one throws one shoots. Stay safe that's the rules. I go there as often as I can with my buddy's.

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Most places I have been will allow you to share a gun for Skeet as long as they aren't real busy and you don't waste a lot of time with chit chat while swapping out. They want to encourage new shooters. If you are referring to the club in Grafton, Va. they were pretty decent folks when I went there if I remember right.

5. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

are we talking the club over in hampton roads va?
    its only clays and trap....if it is.
    they closed the skeet range due to shot fall problems.
    are you a member there?
    i dont know lgc rules. but if all you have is 2, thats fine if youre the only ones at other clubs.

if you want to learn skeet, call me. im over in suffolk. i will teach you over at ft lee.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. bobski

the experience youll have at lgc is unique. most clubs are all different and have certain quirks and rules. the one thing that usually remains the same is safety and one shot at one bird....keep gun unloaded when not firing. thats pretty much it. public ranges tend to draw some weird people. but a club like lgc does as well, based solely on the fact that are thousands of members and at any given time, you never know who youll be shooting with on any given day. so just when you figure out the squad, next time will be a whole new crowd. rangemasters at lgc tend to have their own favorite rules. ive never had two act or run the line the same. so its sorta hail mary at best. id just go to the range on shoot day and ask them to brief you on how they want you to act. unlike firing lines, a clay range puts you in different angles and there is always a shifting 'downrange' line. make sure you know them.
    youre going to experience an echo when you shoot the lgc range. be ready for it. it bounces off the cement walls. its going to be tuff using 1 gun since both of you cant stand in the same place when you shoot. you each shoot on a station. unless youre the only ones there. have fun!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  7. okieboy

okieboy New Member

We took turns running 25. It was easier that way. And I noticed the echo. But all in all it wasn't that bad and I enjoyed the experience. I actually went this morning before I read any of the messages on the forum

8. bobski

thatll work too.
    btw...remember, you didnt shoot skeet there. you shot clays. skeet is a whole different game. glad you had fun. if you ever decide you want to learn real trap or real skeet, just ask and i'll meet you at ft lee. then go back and whoop those old guys at lgc! cheers.