Shooting safety glasses over prescription glasses

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by jrags, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jrags

jrags New Member

Anyone have any good recommendations on safety glasses you wear over regular prescription glasses? There is not a whole lot of options out there.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

My shooting glasses are prescription and are rated to stop 12ga birdshot more than enough for typical range debris.

Any decent optometrist can make prescription safety lenses

If your eye guy doesnt know what your talking about find a new one. My frames take interchangeable lenses i have a set of lenses for pistol rifle and shotgun. My pistol lenses have a bifical that aligns with my natural pistol hold and focuses on th front sight. My rifle ones have no bifocal and neither does my shotgun lenses but they are a redish tint which makes clay pigeons look like black dots. Very easy to see.

4. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Is the focal center of you rifle and shotgun classes shifted to the inside corner of your dominant eye? I only ask because because I wear my glasses at the range. They work okay but since I look thought the section closer to my nose, the correction isn't as good as it should be.

Just curious

EDUB

5. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

Mine are a prescription Bollie with interchangeable lens.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

my eye glass guy had me bring my rifle and pistol in so he could see where im looking and thats where he put the focal point for handguns and rifles. so those lenses are kinda odd when using them for anything but looking down the sights.

my rifle ones are a little off center since my main use is scopes and ar15 open sights.

shotgun are also the same.

7. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen safety glasses worn over regular glasses on construction sites, but not at the range. I suggest you look at Graingers catalog, online under safety equipment.

8. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

You might consider getting a set of prescription safety glasses. Pretty common in industrial / manufacturing businesses and usually available from local eyeglass vendors. The safety glasses can be equipped with removable side shields so you don't have to wear two layers of glasses and still get side protection.

9. jrags

jrags New Member

Does anyone have experience with prescription Wiley-X or ESS glasses? I know some of their glasses do the Rx inserts also. Instead of just getting prescriptions for each individual lens, you get a prescription lenses insert you can use with all of the lenses for that particular model.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Do a Google search for "OTS Safety Glasses". Stands for "over the specs". There are bunches of them.

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I'm required to wear prescription safety glasses at work,I have a pair clear and dark glasses.
    Walmart eye care center is the cheapest place that I've found over the years,I think I paid around $70 a pair for them,and insurance paid most of that.

12. jrags

jrags New Member

Now I'm thinking of getting one of the following:

1. Rudy project
    2. Revision
    3. Wiley X
    4. ESS

These all have prescription inserts you can use and just change out the safety/tint lenses as you please. And when your prescription changes, you just change out the inserts and not all the different colored lenses you have.

Thoughts?

13. Malcap

Malcap Member

Question is do you need a special Rx for shooting? It might be better to get a pair of inserts made. Check the ESS site for some options. If you have a pair of glasses that work for arm's length distance which is usually the distance to the gun sight OTS could work. I had a pair of computer glasses which worked for target but I did switch to shoot Rx inserts.

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

I got a special prescription. The basic adjustment for bifocals give you great resolution at about 15-18 inches, within arms reach. To get a clear image of the front sight the distance is about double that. So that correction changes.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I use poly carbonate trifocals with removable side shields. Top - distance, middle - computer or mid range, bottom - reading. I have clear and polarized. Not cheap.

16. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

The Pyramex OTSXL is exactly what I've been using. They're great & inexpensive. I also use them for cutting grass & leaf blowing.

17. Malcap

Malcap Member

I've mentioned I've used ESS Glasses with the RX inserts. I did have my local eye doctor to the inserts but just could've sent the Rx to ESS for them to do it and save time. They come with three lenses, yellow, clear and grey. Wiley X is a bit more expensive by around 40.00 my last count. I have three pair of ESS which work just fine. Mine are ICE but they have different models for different uses. One thing I do know is that eye safety works. After I've worn these various lenses, I can see the chip marks made in them from firing the handguns at the range. Check all these companies online and compare prices.