shooting right handed while aiming with left eye...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DoyleTheDog, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

So basically, I am right handed but damn near blind in my right eye. So because of this, I have to shoot righty and aim with my left eye... I never thought anything of it until I started learning more about shooting. My question is, does shooting like this effect my aim in any way with a pistol? I have to shoot rifles left handed unless they have a tall scope on them, but shooting lefty feels down right awkward and is not fun for me.

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

interesting...
    i would say to switch everything to your left
    the way i see it:
    1. your right eye is never gonna get better
    2. the awkwardness of becoming a lefty is gonna go away with practice and time
    its gonna feel weird and you'll shoot terrible but with practice and time you'll get better
    and hey in this day and age a lefty has it just as good as a righty (maybe not all the time but yeah)

so what do you think?
    :D

and yes aiming with left while holding with right is gonna effect accuracy and you'll hit a wall eventually(i think)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've had lazy eye in my right eye forever and it's all but useless. It's the main reason I don't use long guns much. I shoot pistols right-handed and left-eyed with no problems - and I win my share of matches. Other than having my head turned a bit, I see no difference between me and "normal" shooters...

4. junho806

junho806 New Member

interesting...
    i guess if you make it work it'll work
    :D

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wyatt to Ike, I like that!

I feel your pain, I'm left eye dominate but right handed.

Shooting with my weak side is like using a palsy hand!

Not that it would help your situation but I forced my sight picture with monovision contacts. This allows my dominate left eye to handle distant vision and I had my right eye prescription focused at arms length! Yep, actually sat in the eye doctors exam room holding my CCW at sight shooting distance as he rotated those bee eye thingies for a perfect shooting Rx!

nerd.gif

Naw, he wasn't intimated, he was actually cool with the whole thing!

6. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Right handed and left eye dominant. Instructor taught to use squared up stance and turn my head. I read on a forum to shoot with left foot forward and leaning forward. This requires me to turn my head just a little and has vastly improved my shooting. Just for what it is worth.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Over time, I have found that a left foot forward stance works better for me as well. I'd sure like to have a good right eye but my only option has been to adapt, improvise, and overcome...

8. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Well thank you everyone for your input. I haven't seen any real problems with the way I was shooting because when I go to the range all of my shots are on target. I guess since my eye has been useless my whole life I've unknowingly adapted... I just wanted to see if my situation was uncommon. The first time I shot a pistol I stood with my left foot in front, shoulders squared and tilted my head a bit. Never missed what I was aiming at either. Oh and Cane, I think my eye doc would ask me to leave his office if I tried that :eek:

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Doyle - I would guess that if your right eye has been this bad for so long that you've become left-eye dominate by default and have already adapted to it. I'm right-handed and right-eye dominate, which means I should practice shooting with my right eye closed. I don't, but I should...

10. slagersan

slagersan New Member

I didn't do it for shooting purposes but I had my eyes surgically corrected to monovision. My right eye is close vision and my left is distance. I'm right handed and was wondering how it would affect my aim, if at all. I know it can be a pain when I'm shooting my camera.

11. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I don't know how I missed this topic :confused: We were actually talking about this in the chat today.. I have become left eye dominate and didn't even realize til recently. I was shooting and realized I was using my left eye with hand gun and right with rifle. I tried yesterday and shot way better if I used my right eye which has become weaker as I've gotten older. I'm not horrible with the left but I do shoot alot better with my right

12. singleshot

singleshot New Member

I am right handed, but I have a scar on my retina in my right eye and cannot see much as far as shooting/aiming with it. I have been this way as long as I can remember. I learned to shoot long guns using my left side and never had a problem. I shoot my handgun using my right hand, but use my left eye to sight with, no problems at all doing this.

13. aug0211

aug0211 New Member

As a lot of you know, I'm pretty new to shooting, and just now getting into it. I use my right eye for everything up close (reading). After reading a lot of articles slanted towards beginning shooters, I saw some tricks for testing your eye dominance - and it looks like I'm left eye dominant, for just about everything, according to these "tricks."

My hand-dominance is confusing as heck. I've been shooting three times so far, and my main hand has been my right hand, with my left hand as support. That's just how I naturally picked it up. However, I write with my left hand, swing a gold club with my left hand, hold a hockey stick, baseball bat, etc. with my left hand... but I throw with my right hand. A funny one is ping-pong... I seriously don't know which hand I use. It's been a year or two since I've played, but I remember that for the first 4 or 5 years that I ever played ping-pong, I used one hand. I randomly switched one day after 4 or 5 years, and the hand I switched to was much better! How I didn't know this, is beyond me, but it's kind of funny.

So now, I'm wondering - since I naturally picked up the guns with my right hand, should I continue doing that, even though I'm left eye dominant? Or, since I'm SO new to everything, should I work on my left hand and work that up as my main shooting hand?

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to practice equally with both, but I'm torn. It worries me that I'd end up shooting maybe 8/10 with BOTH left and right hands if I try both... instead of 9/10 (or 10/10 if I'm lucky!) if I just "master" one hand. What are your thoughts? I can see where shooting with either hand would be useful, but I can also see where it might be better to be a "master" with one hand, rather than an "expert" with two.

Or, is this whole eye-dominance thing not really that big of a deal, and something I shouldn't worry about?

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

I'd suggest practicing both ways for a while, and you may find that one hand will become dominant.

15. mrdave0311

mrdave0311 New Member

i hate to say it but they are right about switching to lefty. also being a PMI in the Marines its about the only advice i could offer. i can tell you from personal and shared experience that moving to your "weak side" becomes easier the more you do it. I swear, telling a right handed person to shoot left (or vice versa) is like asking to cut off a leg, but if your left eye dominant your half way there as it is. try and do daily things with your left to get the mental mapping started. the worst that could happen is that you get ambidextrous.

16. Franchise

Franchise New Member

I can't say which way is better but I shoot with a guy who is left handed but aims with his right eye. In other words, he's right eye dominant. He's as good a shooter as I am, which is fair. I can't do anything left handed, anything. I can't imagine having to use my left hand for shooting. I think, in the case that I damaged my right eye, I would just keep both eyes open and point as good as possible. When I taught my wife to shoot we discoverd that she, though right handed is left eye dominant. She couldn't hit anything. So, I told her to keep both eyes open and learn to point with the front sight. Now, she can put all six from her .38 in the vital zone at ten yards. Before, she couldnt hit the target. With practice she could do better. I think this is the best alternative. IMO