Shooting ranges in Illinois ?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by dabbson, May 21, 2012.

1. dabbson

dabbson New Member

Hi I live in the suburbs of Chicago and I have been looking for gun ranges around here, I know Gat Guns has a range but it's only hand gun caliber allowed including .22lr which is great considering the fact that I only own Armscor M1600 with a bi-pod and Nikon p-22 scope. The range is $20 an hour and its 25 yards which is good for hand guns. Before the scope and the bi-pod I have already put 750+ rounds and its still honestly a better rifle then what I've read reviews online. The point I'm trying to get a cross I want to be able to shoot long distance and or a cheaper range because $20/hour for shooting a .22 is a little crazy IMO. Thank you for looking

2. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Megasports and Rinks are the two I go to because I live in dupage. There was an outdoor range within an hour but is currently closed due to complaints from neighboring businesses. Article 2 in Lombard is another option.

3. dabbson

dabbson New Member

Thanks guys that was a lot of help. I'm loving the gun clubs

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Also, look at this link: Shooting Ranges Illinois

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=shooting+ranges+illinois&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox[/ame]

5. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I also agree with the Megasports referral. I shoot every week at
    Article II/Gunworld in Lombard IL.
    $21/flat range fee. .

6. dabbson

dabbson New Member

Thanks a lot. How do you like Article II/Gunworld ?

7. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

Article II/Gunworld is an ok place. The prices of guns there are a bit high, but the lgs's in IL are normally high. I like that you can shoot both pistol and rifle at there range.

8. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

What caliber can you shoot up to?

9. dabbson

dabbson New Member

Any caliber I think correct me if I'm wrong

10. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

i think im thinking of mega sports but from what i can remember theres an indoor range at a gun store near fox valley mall gander mtn and a chucky cheese there range looked pretty big last time i went to the store (1-2 years ago)

11. dabbson

dabbson New Member

My buddy was at Article II/ Gunworld today and was shooting a S&W 500 , AR-15 .223 and a Mossberg 500 12 ga. He likes the place I haven't ha the time to check em out

12. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I don't know the caliber restrcitions at the range, but I routinely see guys shooting ar15, 223 caliber, etc. I am sure they list it on their website. They also have a facebook page.if interested. Just my opinion that I think the guy named Keith over there is the best guy behind the counter. One thing I notice is that they need to sharpen up the customer service. They aren't rude or anything like that, just not the.most attentive at times.

13. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

I've been to gat guns, I'm in kinda the same area of you I bet. If you know where Crystal Lake is, they just opened up a new range called OnTarget. http://www.ontargetsite.com. They are a bit expensive though, but they have a 50yd indoor range for rifles, and a 25yrd (I think) handgun range. 12 lanes on each, so they are pretty big. The rifle range allows all calibers, except .50 BMG, I think they say they allow half loads for that one. If you don't want to go there, there is HP shooting center in McHenry. They are alright, they have a 50 ft range, for handguns and handgun calibered rifles. but every time I go there I need to scrub the inside of my nose because the filtration in that range sucks and there black s*** that gets in your nose. HP is the cheapest. Hoped this helped.

edit: If you do go to Ontarget get your ammo at walmart or somewhere cheaper, they are a tad expensive on the ammo too.

14. dabbson

dabbson New Member

Yea I on target is not that at and it's new I havn't been there yet but looks really nice. By the looks of the website they need to work out some bugs. F.Y.I I heard they check your bags and stuff before entering the range not a big fan of that

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have shot at GAT Guns several times. I have never had them check through my range bag. I bought a gun there, too and looked at many, MANY others there. The salesmen have been more than patient with me and there's one that remembers me and whenever I go back he asks how I like the Sig I bought and am I still thinking of buying that Henry rifle. I think it's a very nice place and you won't find a place around with more guns to sell. I think their prices are pretty fair, too. I have also been to The Bullet Stop Gun Shop in Loves Park. It is much smaller but family owned and helpful sales men. Their prices are a bit higher and their indoor range is a little disappointing.

16. JackofTrades

JackofTrades New Member

I haven't had them do that to me, but I've read their range rules, and this pisses me off, but they don't allow hand loads. That might be why they check the bags. The reason why I will still go to them though is probably becuase their range is about 10 minutes away from me, and is the nicest one in the area. Everything else near me is 30 - 45 min away, and their ranges are shorter and not as well filtered.

17. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

The way they talk most of Chicago is a shooting range.
    I know it is hard to adjust the sights while doing a drive-by.:rolleyes:

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You don't use the sights in Chicago. You hold the gun sideways.

19. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

because thats how it comes in the box lol^