Shooting range question

Discussion in 'North Carolina Gun Forum' started by NC1760, Feb 22, 2012.

1. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Hello everyone. NC1760 here. I live in Cary (just West of Raleigh) and I wonder if anyone knows of a close by outdoor shooting range for rifles and shotguns (skeet, trap) that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm also not interested in joining a club (for now... just too busy to commit). I just want to get some shooting (other than defensive/pistols) in.

Thanks and GO CANES!!!

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

3. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Thanks buddy. Looks like Drake's Landing is my best bet. I went there once while in the neighborhood to check things out. People seemed friendly enough and the facility was nice.

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

About an hour and a half from Cary is Uwaharrie National Forrest in Troy. They used to have an outdoor range where you could bring anything you wanted as a target. My favorite was old furniture or appliances. It was free years ago and you could camp and ride the 4wheeler trails. It may be worth checking out for a weekend trip.

5. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Well now the cat's out of the bag!!...:D Thanks and I'll try to get up there when my son and I have some free time.

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

7. strick23

strick23 New Member

Is there any clubs in the Fayetteville or Sanford area?

8. tCan

tCan Active Member

Yeah it's been closed for a while. I read something on the website about the range potentially opening back up by the end of this year. I've never been, but I'm sure some landscaping was in order. Or something.

9. Nomadjcb

Nomadjcb New Member

The Wake County (just out sid of Holly Springs) public range is a good location.

10. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Yeah, I went there for my CCW range qualification and that place is not for me.... too restrictive and clickish for my needs. I appreciate the response though.

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

Really? Why do you say that. You can shoot as fast as you want. The only real hassle is that your gun can't leave the firing line except in a case.

12. Nomadjcb

Nomadjcb New Member

The only hassle that I know of is that silly class they make you take. I kind of like a little discipline on a range. It is an indoor range, how hot was Drake's landing?

13. tCan

tCan Active Member

They are kinda sketch about tube fed firearms for some reason....

14. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Guys!!... Easy there. I will not argue the point... I just didn't like the Wake County range for my needs. If I want to shoot indoors I'll go to Eagle One in North Raleigh... If I want to shoot outdoors in a wide variety of situations, I'll go to Drake (and I like being outdoors....regardless).... until something better comes along. The Wake Range just wasn't for me. If you like it there... great. Go to it and have fun. At least you're going to a range and shooting. :cool: