Shooting range in NYC

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by -Twilight, May 21, 2011.

1. -Twilight

-Twilight New Member

Hi all,

I'm a firearms instructor from the Netherlands, and I'm making a trip to New York City next month. As a part of the trip, I'd like to go to a gun range just to shoot a few boxes. Not only for fun of it but also to learn from it, hoping to get some tips I can relay on to my students.

But I've been googling a bit, and most lanes are for LEO only, US citizens only, members only, etc.

Would anyone happen to know a lane where one could just walk in without the above mentioned criteria?

2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

NYC has some fairly serious gun laws, and I don't know what requirements they have for range use in the City.

I have a buddy who is a gun guy and NYPD cop and I'll email him to see what his thoughts are.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You will probably need to get out of the city to find a friendly range.

Come on down to Ft. Lauderdale, FL and you can shoot till your heart's content! ;)

4. -Twilight

-Twilight New Member

Great, thanks! And Canebrake, I'm only there for a week visiting a friend, and I don't think she's into a 1200 mile roadtrip just for some shooting ;)

If I was there solo, well...:D

5. Capt18

Capt18 New Member

Come on down to Georgia. The training division is under Uniform Patrol in my agency. Not only am I the assistant division commander but I'm one of the firearms instructors. We would let you shoot all say if you wanted too. Have a safe trip.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

So, my buddy says you need to have a NYC gun license to even enter a range there. Bummer. Fly through LA and I'll take you shooting.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

8. -Twilight

-Twilight New Member

Bummer.. It's my first time to the U.S., apparently picked the wrong spot to get away from the rather stringent gun-laws over here..:D

Unfortunately we don't have a car, and my friend is tied to the university so we can't travel far. But thanks for the invitations :) I'll be sure to plan my next trip to the U.S. in a more gun-friendly state.

@dog2000tj
    An hours drive to Westchester.. Hmm.. Maybe we'll rent a car

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Oh don't kid yourself, that time is according to Google allotting for ZERO traffic. It could easily take you 2hrs + from Manhattan to Blue Mountain, if not more. :(

For future reference you want to stay away from NY, NJ, MA and CA - not gun friendly places :eek:

10. Boggy5

Boggy5 New Member

Next time visit any of the states in the middle half of the country, except Illinois...and the further south you go the better.

11. -Twilight

-Twilight New Member

Good point. I tend to rely on the Google estimates because my motorcycle will eat through congestion like a warm knife through butter, but lugging two unnecessary wheels and 1500 extra pounds of weight would limit that considerably. Sigh.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I feel your pain; here in rural Mississippi, i can only find one local range. I usually just set up targets against the dam for my sister's pond & shoot out there. I have actually never shot at an indoor range in my 39 years.

Next time, consider visiting Memphis, TN; there are a few ranges and some great food.